Dr. Ileana M. Smith was named the new vice president and campus director of the Delaware Tech Owens Campus in Georgetown on Nov. 11, 2003.
Dr. Smith's hiring was recommended by President Orlando J. George Jr., and approved by the Delaware Technical & Community College Board of Trustees. She will begin her new duties on Jan. 1, 2004, upon the retirement of current Vice President & Campus Director, Dr. G. Timothy Kavel.
In her 23-year tenure at the Owens Campus, Smith has held the positions of Assistant Campus Director, Assistant to the Campus Director, Dean of Higher Education, Assistant Dean of Development, and Mathematics Instructor.
She also served Delaware Tech in a Collegewide capacity as Coordinator for Marketing and Public Relations and Coordinator for Articulation.
Dr. Smith has been instrumental in the implementation of many critical initiatives at the Owens Campus and the College, including:
"Dr. Smith is undeniably the perfect choice for the new Vice President and Campus Director at Owens Campus," said Dr. George. "She has demonstrated exceptional leadership in a number of critical College initiatives, and is passionate about the community college and its students. Dr. Smith's extensive knowledge of issues of importance to Sussex County makes her uniquely qualified to implement programs and services at the Owens Campus that will enable the College to continue to be responsive to the educational needs of the community."
- Helping to establish the partnership between Delaware Tech, the University of Delaware, Delaware State University, and Wilmington College that resulted in the opening of the William A. Carter Higher Education Partnership Building in 1992.
- Leading a statewide advisory committee of K-12 representatives and College personnel in the identification of 70 competencies in educational technology and formulation of a two-level certificate curriculum.
- Collaborating with business leaders, government officials, state agencies and educators to establish Sussex County Today & Tomorrow, an annual county conference focused on economic development and future planning.
- Providing leadership in developing 26 articulation agreements between Delaware Tech and four-year institutions to insure seamless educational pathways for Delaware Tech graduates continuing their education toward a bachelor degree.
- Coordinating event planning to transform annual fundraising event into an elegant Spring Gala with net proceeds of more than $100,000 to benefit the students at the Owens Campus.
- Founding the Academic Challenge Program, now in its 17th year, as a partnership between the College and the eight Sussex County school districts for accelerated instruction of talented secondary students in mathematics and English.
Smith has been extensively involved in the community at both the county and statewide level. Her service includes participation in the Governor's Strategic Economic Development Council, Secretary of Education Accountability Advisory Committee, the Sussex County United Way Committee, Delaware Heritage Commission and State of Delaware Mathematics Standards Commission.
Smith was selected by Wilmington College to be the Commencement Speaker for 2003. Other honors include Wilmington College Doctor of Education Award for outstanding student, International Women's Day Honoree, Sussex Central High School Hall of Fame Inductee, and Seaford's Outstanding Young Woman Award.
Smith and her husband Bill have three sons, Matthew, Michael, and Benjamin. She resides in Seaford.