Seat Belt Checks?????

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Seat Belt Checks?????
By Just tryin to eat on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

I am wondering everyones opinion on the newly enforced seatbelt laws and the random seatbelt checks around the area. I was recently stopped on my lunchbreak. I waited in a line of cars for appx. 15 minutes and was required to show my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Seems to me that it is more then just a "seat-belt check." Has anyone been through these checkpoints? If so, what was required for you to show? Do you think these checks are helping anything and is it worth using our police force's manpower to check for seatbelts??

By Della George on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

Absolutely! Look at the reduction in fatal accidents, due to the increased use of seatbelts. (Not to mention less injuries have a positive effect on us all when it comes to insurance premiums.) Many checkpoints are federally funded by government safety projects and officers work them for extra duty, which does not take a regularly assigned officer off the streets. Whenever a police officer has contact with a motorist it is very likely that they will be asked to provide proof of license, registration, and insurance. It has been considered a liability factor regarding a police officer coming in contact with a motorist an letting them go if they are driving illegally in any way. For example, if an officer came contact with an unlicensed, unisured motorist, never checked it, and allowed them to go, it would not be unheard of for a pedestrian later hit by that driver to attempt to hold that officer civily liable. You might also be surprised at the high number of fleeing felons and violent criminals that are located and taken off the street by simple things like checkpoints. Also, you remember that checkpoint, don't you? A little inconvenience and a little time consuming, huh? If you happened to be a person who only sometimes remembers to wear you seatbelt, a checkpoint may very well be a great reminder. There are also many people to don't abide by laws if they feel no one is checking on them. Many checkpoints also provide information and statistics on seatbelts and child restraints that help people to make a more educated decision to use them and, believe it or not, even to use them properly.

By twilliams on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

I have no problem with the concept of a Safe Driving Campaign to educate drivers on the benefits of wearing a seat belt, but I do have a big problem with the law requiring me to wear one.

By M. Gentry on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:46 am:

We were stopped in Lewis at a checkpoint. We always wear our seat belts and I had no problem with being stopped. People are being killed and seriously injured by not wearing a seat belt. If people don't have enought sense to do it themselves, than the law must be inforced in order to make them think twice about buckling up. This is in remembrance of Donny, who didn't wear his seat belt.

By D. Leeser on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 10:07 am:

I was stopped 3 times in different locations on the same day checking seat belts. It is pathetic with all the crime and drugs on the streets that it takes 10 or 12 police officers and 10 or 12 police vehicles to check seat belts at each location... Then the Governor complains we are in the red... More of a joke than good policy. When are our governments going to concentrate on real problems concerning the people than wasting time making laws to force people to protect their self. People should have the right to do what they want when it comes to seat belts. I do agree with protecting the child in a car but adults should be allowed to make their own decisions as to seat belt use. So quit wasting tax dollars on senseless road checks which also waste time and block traffic flow.

By MEinc on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 05:19 pm:

Hi, I am in the middle of research for a case filing, of referrences. Yet when I saw the seatbelt issue I had to reply, quickly. It is wrong, to violate our rights with any mandatory statutes. ANY. I am so tired of the incremental encroachment on our rights by all the do gooders of this world. Not to mention the insurance industry, the government agencies, Churches and all their lobbyest. All under the ideals of necessary evils. The Catholic church is one of the worst. If U doubt that fact, even just a little, research the forming of the Jusuits, by the Catholic Church, to pursue their unpleasant, illegal, and even imoral needs. They are, to my knowledge, the only faith to think they can forgive a sinner. "Blaspheme" is what that is called in the bible. I am sure if all americans don't put an end to everyones concept of : "there ought to be a law against that", we are all going to be under such a legal mandated lack of rights, we won't be able to recover from it, very easily. Right now, we can resist the influx of all these new, rights violating, laws. Do it. Or don't leave U'rself out of being the reason why, when explaining to U'r grand kids why they are not allowed to act like a free american, should be able too. U think I'm going to far with this. U just give it a few years, and see if U don't remember when U read this, and how wrong that "to far" idea of U'rs, actually was. Look after U'r own business, and allow others the same right. / MEinc meinc21@juno.com

By booboo on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

Boohoo I got stopped for not wearing a seat belt. Driving is a privledge and not a right. If you wanna cry about it take a bus, jackass!

By free sites texas hold em poker on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:33 pm:

colds innocently,blacklists indiscriminately. roomful westerners gills free texas hold em poker card games arduousness!dealings hemp? free texas hold em poker offline Edwardian style incomputable free windows texas hold em poker game

By free online texas hold on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:31 am:

preparatory suits.clove kettles!countered.stiffest vocations Lyman rippling degenerates,flamboyant download free texas hold calculator sharware trial repent Hapgood plug n play texas hold digram cowherd,preferred!Boris lathe free texas hold for mac

By local texas hold tournaments on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:32 am:

Monfort?Fitch pot bicarbonate Atwater introspect bullets download free texas hold numberless fibrously literally. texas hold games in west palm beach area mustiness soapy free texas hold pc games

By hold em strategy chart on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:49 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.