Candidate Praises IRSD, Says Multiple Indicators Needed

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Candidate Praises IRSD, Says Multiple Indicators Needed
By John Atkins on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:07 pm:

I, John Atkins, would like to commend the instructional staff members, principals and administrators of the Indian River School District for having our students achieve "Above the Standards" in every category of the new Delaware Student Testing Program (DSTP). Our instructional staff members have taken great strides with improving the quality of education within our school district. Congratulations are in order for our instructional leaders!

While the quality of our educational system is at stake and the most significant challenge is for all of our schools to accomplish a commendable status in school profiling, there is an ongoing need to illustrate that standardized testing is not the only manner to judge our students. Multiple indicators should be required in order to evaluate our students' individualized performance on the state test.

Most recently, the Indian River School District students in the 3rd and 5th grades ranked 1st in the state for Math competencies. Our students in the 5th grades ranked 2nd in the state for Reading competencies whiles in grades 3rd and 5th, students ranked 2nd in the state for Writing. This is truly a commendable task!

While our test results generate much pride within the Indian River School District, there is much work to be performed. We must make education our highest priority and return to the task of educating our children and aspire to reducing the "achievement gap" among families of diverse socio-economic conditions.

If elected as your representative in the 41st House of Representative District, I will fight for the educational needs of our children and strive to place standardized testing as one of the needed tools used to assess our education system. I look forward to serving the 41st District and the people o the State of Delaware.

John Atkins
41st District Representative Candidate

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.