Mobile Home Owner Rights and Sen. Bunting's Motives

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Mobile Home Owner Rights and Sen. Bunting's Motives
By James R. Gast on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:16 pm:

Dear Mr. Bunting:
Is it election time drawing near? It seems that you didn't want to hear anything about your son Clinton running all the people out of Burton's Trailer Park when he bought it.

Your son bought the park and the first year raised the rent from $1,600 a year to $3,500. I guess he thought everyone would not pay it and pack up and move. Well, everyone (except a few) did pay it after you son said: "Don't worry, this is going to stay a mobile home park!"

Well Mr. Bunting, as you know, your son served eviction notices to all the people in the park telling them to get out. Everyone lost their places except a very few that could move the home or sell it for pennies on the dollar.

I'm one of the people that had a home there and thought it was my retirement. I will tell any and all people ... do not buy a home in Delaware! It's the home of big businesses and the land of no protection for the little guy.

This bill kills me Mr. Bunting. Why now? Where were you when your son was doing this very same thing? Go ahead and have your son reply to this. He'll put up more smoke and mirrors and lies like he fed us, but he knows the real truth. This was the plan all along! Throw out all the old people for the almighty buck! Oh well, this is America, home of the greed and dollar!

I tried to get an attorney, but when they heard who bought the park (Senator Bunting's son), the good ol' boy network protected him. Also, when I complained to the state attorney general's office, the first attorney was going to help, then he suddenly got transferred and a woman took over the case.

After many attempts to speak to hear and numerous letters, I gave up as all I got was total silence and was ignored. So I walked away and lost everything Mr. Bunting.

Now your're introducing a bill for protection for the poor folks? We have a saying in Pennsylvania -- "Sorta like locking the barn after the horse got away" -- but then, your son has no more interest in this anymore since he sold out to someone else.

The only way I will be seen in Delaware anymore is me passing through ... I won't stop ... I know when I'm not welcome.

James R. Gast

By twilliams on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Mr. Gast,

Unless I am wrong, didn't you knowingly and, ahem, intelligently place your home on land that wasn't yours? While I do not know all of the particulars in this instance, it seems that when you place your home on land that you do not own, you place yourself in a dangerous situtation.

By james r gast on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 05:32 pm:

gee whiz twilliams!why don't you send your ridiculous statement to every mobile home owner that is in a park in your state and see what they have to say. i do believe it's a considerable number of people! let me get this clear. you're saying that i and all the people that are living down there are stupid for doing this? maybe all the mobile home owners ought to pack up their belongings, get out and take their tax dollars and considerable spending power with them! it sure sounds like the unintelligent one is not me, because i would never make an asinine statement like that!especially if i didn't know all the "particulars". by the way, who really are you? you sound suspiciously like a mobile home park owner or developer (or maybe a relation or a blind friend of the party in question)

By twilliams on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:04 am:

"you're saying that i and all the people that are living down there are stupid for doing this?"

I don't know them, so no. But I clearly beleive that placing a mobile home, that costs 40 - 80 thousand dollars on a piece of ground that could be sold out from under me at any time is a bit foolish.

"maybe all the mobile home owners ought to pack up their belongings, get out and take their tax dollars and considerable spending power with them"

Let 'em go. Have you paid any attention to the population explosion down here. There are many times more people who would love to move in than would move out.

"it sure sounds like the unintelligent one is not me,"

Wait a minute, I didn't invest money in something I didn't own and complain when I lost out. Get real. You took a chance and got burned.

Now don't get me wrong, there is a need for the property owner and the tenant to have an agreement and fair notice of any actions, but if the owner want you out, he has that right, period.

By james r gast on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:14 am:

hmmmmmmmm,believe i may be right on who you are. you miss the point anyhow. 1. the man made the statement "dont worry, i'm going to keep this a park" 2. burton himself said "as lons as i'm alive this will remain a park" 3.people bought their homes and paid their rent based on this. 4. you said: "let them leave.there's plenty more to take their place" do you mean the other people that replace them should also be stupid? man, you need a reality check! you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth! you say let the renters go but there's more to take their place. you must be p.t.barnum....."there's a sucker born every minute" oh, by the way....too many people? wah wah wah....you are the people that let all the outlets and developements and condos in your area and welcome the money and the people that it brings. biut the home owners? ahhhh, they're the reason it's overcrowded. i re-iterate. i think you are who i think you are. what about it renters? what do you think of this guy? he's already stated what he thinks of you! by the way, i'm not afraid to give you my real name! (not a user name or an alias)

By twilliams on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:28 am:

"people bought their homes and paid their rent based on this"

exactly my point, people spend thousand sof dollars based on someone's word. While there a few people around who's word is good as gold, I still wouldn't risk my home on someone telling me something, put it in writing.

"do you mean the other people that replace them should also be stupid?"

Actually, i hope the new people would come in and BUY land and build homes to live on. The tax revenues would surely go up and then this would not even be an issue

By tunnell & co. on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 10:12 am:

i guess mr gast finally can see he was stupid

By Amazed & co. on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:32 am:

I am amazed that you,twilliams are not seeing the point of Mr Gast's post.I see an individual that is questioning the motives of Senator Bunting proposing a bill that his own son went against by raising rent drastically and evicting individuals from thier homes.As far as I'm concerned I would like to hear a reply on this also.I think you calling someone foolish for trying to come to DE and buy a residence be it a trailer or home on rented ground or owned ground is also amazing.So what you are saying is,you are not foolish only if you have $100 thousand+ to own a home and land at the beach.I also don't know were you get that people are spending $40-80 thousand on a trailer.Most trailers in parks in that area are around $20 thousand,some even less.I would say that there are alot of people who live in trailers at the beach who would argue with you,but then they are people that live in trailers who are foolish so who cares anyway!I also would be interested to know how many people heard Mr Bunting say that park was going to remain a park and Mr Burton say it would be a park as long as he was alive.I believe if witnesses were present I would check to see what legal action if any could be taken for these false statements.From what I have read there were individuals living in that park for many years They and Mr Gast were unjustly evicted and treated unfairly.So for anyone to call them foolish (twilliams) or stupid (tunnell & co.) for trusting that they could live in a trailer park in DE considering the number of people that live in trailer parks in DE,they should look at themselves in a mirror for making such statements.

By twilliams on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 08:21 am:

"are not seeing the point of Mr Gast's post"

What I see in Mr. Gast's original post is someone who is very bitter at Sen. Bunting without just cause. Regardless of the relationship between Mr. Gast's former landlord and the good Senator, did not Sen. Bunting try to make a proposal that would HELP people like Mr. Gast?

"So what you are saying is,you are not foolish only if you have $100 thousand+ to own a home and land at the beach"

You see, there are trade offs in life. Security vs. convenience in this instance. Someone could buy a land and a home 15 or 20 miles inland, and afford to do so. In doing so, they trade off the close proximity to the beach for ownership of the land and the security it provides. Some folks would rather take a chance on the security in order to have the conveniece of living close to the beach, other would not. But each choice has potential consequences.

"I also don't know were you get that people are spending $40-80 thousand on a trailer.Most trailers in parks in that area are around $20 thousand,some even less."

Basically, from the ads I see for new mobile homes in various publications, the Stae Fair etc. Maybe 40 thou was a bit high for a minimum, but there are many double wides that get up to 80 with set up and options. Either way, 20 thousand is too much money to take such a chance.

Now, it is my own personal opinion that it is pure foolishness to take 20 thousand + dollars and invest it in a home that the land it sets on could be sold out from under me. HOwever, I do feel that the uniqueness of park living does mandate some legislation. Proper notice is a must, give folks a chance to relocate, but givng the tenants the authoirty to rejact sale is ridiculous.

By james r gast on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 08:40 am:

twilliams: i'm not a bitter man at mr bunting. it was his SON that did this. where was senator bunting when this was going on? i do know that when we tried to get help we were meant by dead silence from any officials and attorneys down there. NO ONE WANTED TO CONFRONT THE ALL POWERFUL BUNTINGS! thats the point you are missing sir/madam. you are making blind statements about this situation without knowing the facts. bitter without just cause? now are you going to make the rediculous statement that sen. bunting didnt know about this? it was on the front page in the papers down there! ye gods, your blind and rediculously unwavering defense of sen bunting is incredible. i believe you are a member of the family, a paid aide or a developer or possibly, just a member of the good ol' boy network. it's people like you that is why NO ONE should come to your town! are you going to reveal who you really are? again, I sign my REAL name........

By james r gast on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 08:44 am:

you are right tunnell & co. if this was a tongue in cheek reply, i'm laughing with you. if not.............sigh

By patclatts on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

Isn't it ironic that this "Bill" got promoted
after the son's situation was done.

We should all sign a letter for voters against Bunting's reelection at his next elections rally.
Would be glad to hand deliver.

People made decisions on what they were told and have had for over 40 years.So much for handshakes

By Friend on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:33 am:

Mr. Gast:
Would you please contact Al Gargano at Gargano1968@aol? He is running against George Howard Bunting, Jr. in the election for Senate. He would like to discuss this issue with you. He needs your knowledge on this matter.

If anyone would like to add information about this you are invited to contact him as well.

By Dominick Vietri on Monday, September 09, 2002 - 11:26 am:

Dear Mr. Bunting
Please do not push for SB194, we home owners know the Bill was compromised to the point that the Land Owners are allowed to increase rent as they,and only they see fit.The land owners can also charge the home owner for upgrades to thier land.Who are you kidding,or may I ask who,s side are you really on.

By William J. Winkler, Sr. on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:09 pm:

Bill Winkler here, candidate for the 20th Senatorial District, Green Party. I just spoke at the Mobile Home Owners Association Candidate Forum on Saturday, Sept 14th 2002. I wish I knew about this before the meeting.
I suggested at the meeting DO NOT WAIT OR COUNT ON LEGISLATION PASSING that will give a one year notification to the renter. Make your decision now. Form small to large groups and together pool your assests, buy less expensive land to the west, and start your own development. This should be rather simple to do. I will help you. 537-5334 Bill Winkler Green Party "For the People" "For the Environment"

By JMeininger on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 04:52 pm:

Any comments regarding the Delaware Manufactured Home Owners Association?

By Unbiased observer on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 09:57 am:

Sounds like all it boils down too in this situation is, If you have got Plenty of money and a politician or two in your pocket you can do what you want. Typical good ole boy politics. I think some of the statements made here are pretty sick. People like Tunnel that have land that is rented to mobile home owners are living large off the income but yet laugh because they must think people are stupid to live on rented land.. Very sick. If I lived in one of their parks I would move. Then see how much they like it when their income drops from the loss. Seems all the mobile home park owners are laughing at the people that feed them.

By JAMES GRAY on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 04:03 pm:

WHITEHOUSE BEACH WILL PUT YOU OUT IN A MINITE.AND DONT LET YOUR HOME GET TO OLD,VERY NEAT BUT NOT TO OLD. THEY SELL NEW HOMES!!!!!!

By JosieF on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

It seems like this issue needs to be resurrected. Has anyone heard of the possibility of Camelot or Sea Air Village being sold? I am a concerned owner of a mobile home...thinking that I had a comfortable place at the beach that I could call my home away from home. I now get the feeling that I have been had.

Does anyone have any updates on this issue?

By play for free texas hold em poker on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:19 pm:

adolescence dissociation?Justine!amorphously outlawed sued! weeping trespassed:Welch spat! free texas hold em poker games online Lafayette manual Perseus,radiators Dixon free texas hold em poker pc games aviators catsup play texas hold em poker for free onlie

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.