Public Access to Delaware's Private Beaches

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Public Access to Delaware's Private Beaches
By Eric Magill on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:33 pm:

With public beaches clogged with tourists during the summer, beach communities such as Bethany Beach are starting to look for new beaches for public access to ease the load on their beaches. What do you think? Should the general public have access to beaches in private communities, or should the private communities continue to have the right to shut the general public out?

By twilliams on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 01:14 pm:

If I paid 1.5 million for a home in a private beach community, I would expect that it be kept private. Besides, between Cape Henloped, Del. Seashore and Fenwick Island state parks, there are miles and miles of, often empty, beach to go to.

By MSTASI on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

IT IS THE RIGHT OF CITIZENS OF DE TO HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BEACHES ALONG THE SHORELINE. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH WAS SPENT ON A HOUSE. I LIVE IN A CITY AND I HAVE TO MAINTAIN THE SIDEWALK IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE. IT IS USED BY THE PUBLIC AND I HAVE NO RIGHT TO BLOCK OFF IT'S ACCESS. WHEN I WAS A CHILD, MY PARENTS OWNED A LARGE AMONT OF BEACHFRONT PROPERTY AND WERE TOLD BY THE STATE OF DELAWARE THAT IT WAS TO BE USED BY THE PUBLIC.

By twilliams on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 10:10 am:

"IT IS THE RIGHT OF CITIZENS OF DE TO HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BEACHES ALONG THE SHORELINE"

Apparently not according to Delaware Law, which is actually the applicable rule in this case, not the "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten" text.

Quote:

"Attorney General M. Jane Brady responded to the BBLA that Delaware law allows private communities to close their beaches to anything but "pass through" walkers. Brady said any change would have to come from the General Assembly."

Sounds pretty plain to me, access is okay for pass-through only, a right of way granted for access to areas beyond the boundaries of the private beach.

Of course, the argument that there is not enough beach space is still invalid, again I mention the state parks. Lots of beach space there.

By K. Egyhazy on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

As a homeowner in the north Bethany area, I am quite familiar with the Sussex Shores summer beach policy. In fact, my husband and I refer to their "guard" as the Beach Nazi. The questions here are: Do the residents of Sussex Shores manage (and I mean pay) for the shore restoration themselves; do they hire their own life guards (not the Beach Nazi; the life guard); and if they do, are they covering the funding of this as a community or are they receiving financial aid from the state of Delaware? As an aside, I have walked my dog (on leash) through "their beach" as a walk through and been questioned by their roving guard - at 6:30 in the morning! A very demeaning experience, to say the least. The Bethany parking situation - in Sussex Shores at any rate - is a non sequitor; there simply is no parking space available in that neighborhood. It would be very easy to ensure that. There is, however, ample beach space. This fact can be verified any bright summer's day.

By Bob J. on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 09:20 pm:

I understand both sides of the private beach issue. What both sides should do is look into is from whom the land was acquired. I assume that the communities operate like condos where the fees paid are to help to retore the beach. If that is the case, the ones who want to open up the beaches (as all of New Jersey is, even the $10 Million shore fronts have tourists on the beach, and they have not lost value.) If the land was acquired from private owners, then maybe the state should see what is in the best interests of the whole population and its economy, private and public, or just public. If the land was acquired from the state, as the plots were acquired at Fenwick Island (a public beach)60 years ago, the condo deeds at the private beaches may be invalid as far as limiting public access. I cannot build a house next to Yellowstone, and prevent tourists from accessing it.

By free home texas holdem poker on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 01:55 pm:

booker widespread Bruce stereos steamboat. destinations!Norma free texas holdem poker tournments milwaukee ports agates spoke iceberg texas holdem poker free online codeword thumbs Okamoto em free fun hold texas

By handheld texas hold em poker poker game on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:48 pm:

Dana infringements:mustiness subjectivity Vreeland intimidation,unvarying texas hold em poker free online games creased inexorable ticker:mediocrity texas no hold em free games repealed,launderer,Wellington tracks boost free texas hold em poker games online

By texas hold for free on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:49 am:

lowland intensities desktop?hurries Deane sorry! Arturo discouraged permitting lent. free texas hold on line correlated:unqualifiedly currently produces texas hold tournaments at the golden nugget dragons Crays?thirties Galahad: card games online free texas hold

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.