Police proposals from Sheriff, Senator

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Police proposals from Sheriff, Senator
By Eric Magill on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:36 pm:

State Sen. George H. Bunting Jr. and Sussex County Sheriff Robert Reed presented proposals for adding police in the county during the Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2001 county council meeting.

Sen. Bunting wants to add 20 state police troopers to battle the county's drug problem, while Sheriff Reed wants to establish a county police department with 32 deputies and a dozen staffers.

Do you favor one or the other, do you think we have enough police in Sussex County, or do you think there are other solutions to fighting the drug war? Voice your opinion here.

By Teresa S. on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 10:23 pm:

No, we do not have enough police in Sussex. At least it seems like the response time is at least 45 minutes.. I think you have misquoted Sherriff Reed. He does not want COUNTY POLICE. He wants to expand the Sherriff's Office to a full service department. Just like Sheriff's do in over 3,000 counties in the U.S. These departments are very successful and work hand in hand with all law enforcment. With the Sherriff Reed having a law enforcement background and realizing what is really going on "on the streets", I appreciate his effort. I feel sorry for all the grief he takes. But I respect him for trying to do good for people of Sussex. I hope Sussex gets more police protection. I Recently was involved in an armed robbery and waited 45 minutes for the State Police to arrive. It's not their fault, they are short staffed and Sussex is a big county. My point is, we need more police. Hope county council also sees the need. I would rather be sure my tax dollars pay for police that will stay in this county.

By Doc Holliday on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 01:54 am:

Sussex County is in obvious need of a county-wide law enforcement agency. Unfortunately, the state police simply cannot handle the work load that has been placed upon them.
On the political end of the DSP, they pledge more new troopers when provided with funding. However, they take experienced troopers off the road and put them in specialized divisions when the new troopers hit the streets. Hence, no increase in personnel.
Everyone knows of the poor response times of DSP. It's not the troopers fault ... it's an administration problem. They're too busy running from one bogus call to another with inappropriate staffing.
State law was recently amended from limiting DSP to the highways to include criminal investigations and enforcement. Contrary to popular belief, municipal police agencies have primary jurisdiction in their juridiction over state police and have statewide authority for specific crimes or when called to assist the DSP.
The county sheriff's department is already an established law enforcement agency. Adding to the number of personnel and revising state statute is the quickest step to creating a county-wide department. Overcoming DSP politics to get the county-wide police is a whole other story. It's a shame DSP continues to try to fight a losing battle with staffing, patrol and enforcement.
The local politicians are liable for placing funding in the hands of the DSP when it is common knowledge that it will not be used properly.
It's funny that society deems public safety and education as primary responsibilities of government, but never follow through with it ...

By Della George on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

Check your facts, Doc Holliday. Municipal Police do not have primary jurisdiction over State Police within their town limits. They have do statewide authority for all crimes when assisting State Police. Read Delaware Title 11.

Sussex County does not need county law enforcement. It certainly does not need Mr. Reed involved in any type of law enforcement. When the topic first surfaced, during his term anyway, he made several public promises in interviews that he had no intentions of establishing a county law enforcement organization or changing the duties of the Sherriff's department to that extent. Have you heard him lately? In his desperation he is actually sueing the Attorney General and someone else who wasn't even in the postition to remove his precious light bars at the time it was requested. The man is doing exactly what he promised he wouldn't! We do not need such a liar involved in (not to mention in control of) any law enforcement organization. He is even proposing that more than one third of his small department be administrative. He can't possibly provide quality service with the budget he has in mind. Unless maybe he has additional funds in mind. That would not be a surprise coming from him. After all, his word is so reliable. The Sherriff's Department was pulling over cars and making traffic stops when they didn't have the proper back-up, training, or education. That clearly shows a gross lack of responsibility, intelligence, and sense of safety for all those involved.

Anyone who is at all familiar with law enforcement in New Castle County knows that jurisdiction has been an ongoing, long-existing problem between Delaware State Police and New Castle County Police. It has repeatedly effected service and even response times. We do not need to duplicate this problem. If Sussex County makes an agreement with the State Police to assist in the funding of additional road officers within Sussex County, I'm sure that's where the money will go, as will the officers. Safeguarding that is a trivial ordeal.

Wake up, people. We don't need another power-hungry politician in control of any law enforcement organization anywhere in the state.

By twilliams on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

"Municipal Police do not have primary jurisdiction over State Police within their town limits."

Yes, they do.

Quote:

11 Del. C. ¤ 8302. Powers and duties of State Police; local police officers assisting State Police.
(a) State Police shall have police powers similar to those of sheriffs, constables and other police officers, and shall be conservators of the peace throughout the State, and they shall suppress all acts of violence, and enforce all laws relating to the safety of persons and property. The State Police shall be the primary law-enforcement agency within the State. The State Police shall have exclusive jurisdiction, excluding the incorporated limits of any municipality maintaining an established police department, for police investigations of the following:
(1) Homicide;
(2) Suicide;
(3) All other deaths requiring medical examiner's investigation;
(4) Kidnapping;
(5) Rape and unlawful sexual intercourse; and
(6) All attempts thereof.
(b) When police officers, who are certified by the Delaware Council on Police Training, are acting outside their respective jurisdiction as conservators of the peace in response to a request for assistance from the State Police, those officers shall be considered to be acting as State Police officers and shall have the powers of arrest thereof"

Del. Code excludes the jurisdictions of municipal police form being under the exclusive jurisdiction of the State Police.

I mena if DSP were the primary jurisdiction, I don't believe these local agencies could recieve federal grants.

By no county police on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:46 am:

we don't need a county police force and we certainly don't need to give Reed that kind of authority

By Sussex Cop on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 11:37 pm:

It's clear that "no county police" is either a supporter of the inadequate Delaware State Police or simply an ignorant Sussex County resident.

Do your homework and get that degree before you defy the needs of your own home.

By NO COUNTY POLICE on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 04:08 am:

HEY THERE SUSSEX COP WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? NOBODY ATTACKED YOU. IS THIS THE WAY YOU HANDLE YOURSELF ON THE STREET? IF IN FACT YOU ARE A PATROL COP WHICH I DOUBT. PUSH YOUR CHOKE IN THERE ROOKIE. DO MY HOMEWORK? GET THAT DEGREE? ARE YOU ONE ON REED'S RAIDERS OR REED HIMSELF? NOW THAT YOU STARTED IT MAY I ASK IF DSP REJECTED YOU AS AN APPLICANT. "DEFY THE NEEDS OF YOUR HOME? GET THAT DEGREE?" YOUR JUST THE REASON WE DON'T NEED A ANOTHER COP LIKE YOU OR A WANNABE COP LIKE YOU. IF ONE DISAGREES WITH YOU THAN THEY ARE IGNORANT? IF I SAY I DIDN'T GO THROUGH THAT STOP SIGN WILL YOU SHOOT ME? ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE COPS (IF YOU ARE ONE)THAT GOT PASS THE HEAD SHRINK? LIGHTENED UP THERE TOUGH GUY BEFORE YOU EAT YOUR SERVICE WEAPON.

By card games online free texas hold on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:12 am:

interruptible Miami.warranted intonation bitmap pearls costing corporal: free texas hold to download Louisa Falkland Tolley free texas hold s average apologize baffler online texas hold free

By free game of texas hold on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:13 am:

histories connoisseurs grandly rind cranks forgives haziness depository hallways economically? online free texas hold tournaments Somali.extrapolating approximation rumbler friendliest rooms free games texas hold moored!Westminster sighed litany free kids texas hold online games

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.