Shame on you, Bethany Beach !!!

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Shame on you, Bethany Beach !!!
By gumshoe on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 08:10 pm:

Poor, Poor, Bethany Beach. I just finished watching WBOC News. Mayor McHugh, ( you know he is the mayor, because he wears the title on his tee-shirts), was just on, claiming that the Town of Bethany Beach could not afford fireworks this year. How pathetic is that!!!

This is a town that is always well off financially. This is the town that has just increased its meter rates to a quarter every 15 minutes, at their parking meters. This is the town that did away with free parking to the local public after 4:00 PM and extended permit parking until 8:00 PM, so the the locals would have to pay all the way to 8:00 PM, at the meters. I think they are changing the meter times to, aren't they?

McHugh is poor mouthing the town's budget and asking the public for donations for fireworks. Shame on you Bethany and you, McHugh!!!

You don't even have a beach this summer. You should pay people to visit your cheap *** little town!!!

I wonder why you can't afford fireworks? It surely isn't because you spent money on the new bandstand this past spring. Where is all the money going that you can't afford fireworks? Maybe the money is going towards the "Graviet Express" Shuttle Bus Line. Does Bethany need an audit? If you don't need an audit, then quit getting on TV and in my opinion, scamming the public, by begging for donations.

In my opinion, Bethany should spend THEIR money on fireworks, just to give a little back the for all the bilking of the public that they do!!!!!

If any locals fall for McHugh's pitch, I have some swamp land to sell you.

By need money on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

I just got a message from the Bethany/Fenwick Chamber stating their Board of Directors is giving $4000.00 for the fireworks this year. It must be for the great help the council was in working with the businesses in getting the hours for the parking meters increased. Could Fenwick get a donation to help with legal cost? Anyone else have any bills they can't pay? Call the Chamber of Commerce 302-539-2000 x-12.

By gumshoe on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

Shame on you again, Bethany Beach! What a shocker! Graviet and Redmon didn't know that Officer Reynolds wasn't a citizen of the US until the State Police "found a lapse in the paperwork"? I guess when Graviet read her application over, for Bethany Beach, (not DSP), he must have missed that part. You know the block that asks are you a US citizen. .......... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Graviet was also quoted as saying she had an interest in becoming a full time officer. Hasn't she been that for the last two years? Hasn't she been making arrests? Will those arrests hold up in court? I wouldn't think so!

It seems as though a few are playing dumb and expecting the rest of us to buy into it. DON'T THINK SO! I even remember the WAVE doing a feature story on Officer Reynolds.

Redmon was quoted as "To my knowledge, on her citizenship, she is only waiting for the ceremony." Hey Redmon, I believe that is when you're sworn in as a US citizen, quite an essential part of it all!

Graviet was also quoting Delaware Code requiring police officers to be US citizens. DUHHHH ! Maybe he should of refreshed his memory of the Code before he hired her. What Chief wouldn't know that?

As always the Town of Bethany called it a technicality which will be resolved. Maybe if things were handled appropriately from the start, there wouldn't be problems! DUHHH !

I guess it is not difficult to understand why good people on the Town Council resign, right Jeff.

By twilliams on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:29 am:

I would think that if this officer was not a U.S. Citizen then ALL of the arrests she made would in fact be invalid and the fines paid would need to be refunded and the charges expunged from the records of those impacted.

By gumshoe on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:58 am:

I agree with you twilliams, that would be the right and legal thing to do, but I really don't see it happening.

By thinker on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:19 am:

Hmmm... it seesm like the more I ask about the more intersting things become. It seems the then police Chief Graviet was aware of this citizenship problem BEFORE she was hired. I understand the officer that was doing her background brought it up. He was then promptly replaced and another officer "finished" the background. Someone in the Bethany Adminsitration is trying to cover up a mistake.

By gumshoe on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:27 am:

It seems as though that is the standard operating procedure for the Town of Bethany.

By thinker on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:26 pm:

The question is, will there ever be a real investigation by the Attorney General's office or will this simply die off and become another interent legend?

By US Park Cop on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

Actually Bethany Beach and Officer Reynolds would be clear of any criminal or civil liability if she thought she was a citzen while attending the academy. While I do agree that Bethany should look into or even refunding fines issued by Officer Reynolds they are under no obligation to do so.

By gumshoe on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:04 pm:

US Park Cop, I will partially agree with you. The Officer herself was acting under good intentions believing that she was legal. The problem is that if she was hired and placed out on the street full time, by powers who knew she wasn't a US citizen from the beginning, then the town would be liable.

We have been trying to tell you to beware of some of these small coastal towns. The powers that operate them do not always operate in appropriate manners.

Thinker, to answer your question, I would bet that this dies as an internet legend. Some individuals are teflon coated and egg does not stick to them.

If a town worked on any level of integrity, someone would be held accountable for choosing to ignore certain information. Did I mention the word "INTEGRITY"?

By gumshoe on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 12:15 am:

The WAVE reads, "as soon as they discovered the error, Bethany Beach town officials sought the help of Carper". I suppose what happened, when DSP did the background check on Ofc. Reynolds, they must have actually read her application, where you check if you're a US citizen.

I wonder if the article should have read, " after Bethany got caught with a police officer, who they placed on the street, who was not a US citizen, making arrests for two years, town officials figured they better get help real quick"?

Hmmm, I wonder if the Town Manager of Bethany knows Carper from his previous employment? What was that position that Graviet held with DSP?

I wonder if we will see Ofc. Reynolds immediately back on the street, now that she is a US citizen?

By oh pleez on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

Soooo hateful and mean!

By oh pleez on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

Seems to me gumshoe and the other guy are a little too concerned with what's going on in Bethany Beach instead of concentrating on their own towns and jobs. God, get a life already! After reviewing some of the other postings about Fenwick Island, I'm wondering whether these guys are State Police rejects or just angry hicks that need to get a life. Wow, you guys really hate the State Police, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island and... wait a minute...everyone! It is painfully evident that there is a certain resentment of Gravette. Wonder what the REAL reason for that is...hmmmm. You can definitely see a pattern. Wow, now I feel like a loser for even posting a message about these idiots!

By Gumshoe on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

Oh pleez. After reading your post it is evident that these topics are well over your head. It's clearly evident that you don't have a clue of the legalities of police officers or what's required of them.

It's also a matter of right and wrong and what people are doing that is not proper.

As far as DSP are concerned, I do not dislike troopers. I am tired of the good old boy system, which keeps them as our sole protection in Sussex County, when we are in need of a county law enforcement agency.

Please go do some research, educate yourself a little more, wake up, then respond.

By oh pleez on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

Unfortunately I know more than I want to know about legalities of many things public and private. From your posts, it seems that the person that needs to wake up and do some research is you.I have more than "a clue" about the legalities of police officers and what is required of them. It would seem that you are so wrapped up in finding fault with those that are in positions of authority or perhaps higher authority than yourself that you don't dedicate yourself to those very requirements. We don't need a county police agency. Maybe YOU need a county police agency so that YOU can perhaps join it? Why don't you put your "mouth" to work getting more funding for more State Policemen? Why would the State/County go to all the trouble of beginning a county force when we have a very respectable and esteemed State Police in force already? Perhaps you'd like a position with the new county agency? We DON'T need any more Barney Fife's riding around trying to act important-that is when they aren't hanging around the computer talking about everything and everyone they don't agree with.....
As for YOUR knowledge of what's going on...maybe you should check into the different political affiliations of Carper and Gravette before you decide that they are involved in a cover-up of some sort. Duh...I think you are possibly living in your own little Hollywood movie. Don't bother to respond, I'm more than a little embarassed that I have even responded to your post. I won't be checking in. I have more important thing to do. Too bad you don't. By the way...Why are you so intent on finding problems in Bethany Beach? You are more than a little angry with that town and it's administrators...again, HMMMMMM????

By Gumshoe on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

Oh pleez. You're just another uninformed person. There are many county and town police departments that have it more together and are better trained than DSP. Alot of Sussex Countians are tired of double taxation for police protection and not receiving any, by DSP.

I will take an active part in the coming elections in an attempt to get things changed. I do not wish to be a police officer, but we do need a county law enforcement agency because DSP's response time is not what it should be, nor is their coverage.

As for some of Bethany and Fenwick's past problems, I suggest you take a look at who had their hands in the towns and see if it comes back to some previous DSP members.

As for anger or personal grudges, I have none, just well informed.

As for cover ups, you said it, not me.

As for you, it's my belief that you are a pompous, legend in your own mind.

By Sussex Cop on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:28 pm:

I wonder if "oh pleez" is a relative of the "old school" or even "new school" DSP? He/she/it sure seems to push for the poor old big hats.

It's funny that DSP acts so big and only gets by because of its few political allies. Just next door and around the bend are several local/county/state agencies that employ more personnel with higher standards ... and more training ...

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm".

It's a good thing most new Delaware transplants (especially Sussex) are from out of state and know what is needed when it comes to policing.

As always, I have nothing personal aginast many troopers on the street ... especially the ones I work with routinely. The problem DSP children are the older timers, big heads that fit in little hats, and the political wannabes that roam this little state.

I hear more and more support for creating or expanding countywide policing in Sussex. Once again, why haven't towns researched the "township" entities? Mutual aid between individual PD's only goes so far. Countywide mutual aid (the latest hot topic among chiefs) only goes so far if the laws aren't changed.
Change the law and expand the county sheriff's office and role ... create township departments ... amend existing mutual aid agreements ... create a new county police agency ... so many easy answers, so few intelligent people to use them!

It's only a matter of time ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.