County Council Needs House Cleaning

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: County Council Needs House Cleaning
By gumshoe on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 03:58 pm:

After reading the July 2nd issue of the WAVE, I feel we need a clean sweep of the "good old boys", from the County Council.

Cole seems as though he has no interest in his position, when he won't even perform his duties, such as voting on the budget. He was quoted that he would vote against the Sheriff's budget, yet he feels that it is appropriate to give our tax dollars to one of the wealthiest towns in the county, Bethany Beach, for fireworks. Hey Cole, you need to stick to your nickel and dime furniture store and get out of politics.

As for the others, such as Dukes, who supports Cole's lame excuses and the others, who would rather throw our tax dollars away for no police protection from DSP rather than spend our tax dollars for our own county law enforcement protection agency, please jump on Cole's furniture truck and leave with him.

All of you were voted in, to look out for our best interests. I don't believe your doing that when you keep pouring out "our" money for no police protection.

This commentary is not to put down DSP. They do a fine job, for what little protection they give to Sussex Co. It's just that this county needs its own law enforcement agency, which will get to complaints, in a reasonable amount of time.

I have never been active in politics before, but after reading how these good old boys look out for one another instead of the public, I will not only vote for any new face, who is not from around here, but also rally for them. The good old boy system needs to go!

By gumshoe on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

Wow! A two and a half hour response time. That's what the WAVE reported for DSP's response time for an attempted child abduction. I hope there are more facts, which were unreported. If that is how it really went down, then we are worse off than I originally thought. So can we expect a response time of an hour and fifteen minutes for an attempted murder, an hour and fortyfive minutes for a rape?

I am not downing DSP with this post. It's not their fault. They probably did the best they could for probably only having nine to fifteen Troopers on the street in Sussex County at any given time. Is that estimate kind of high? The fault lies entirely on the Sussex County Council for their "good old boys" politics, that will not allow our tax dollars to go towards a Sussex County law enforcement agency.

It's so comforting to read articles such as this, knowing that not only our state tax dollars go to DSP, but also our county tax dollars, as well. What does that money pay for? NO POLICE PROTECTION!!

Some of you might read this and not think to much about it, until you or a family member fall victim to a crime. Call DSP and see if the minutes don't seem like hours. Wait a minute, they are hours.

I don't know if Sheriff Reed is the answer or not. (I do like the way he stands up to the "good old boy system" and he's not a puppet, like they seem to be.) I do know that Sussex County is in need of a county law enforcement agency, to protect its citizens in a timely manner.

Not only is a response time important, but the officer taking his time with the crime victims at the scene, is important also. Even if it's as simple as a minor fender bender. No one likes to feel rushed when reporting a crime. DSP can't help to be that way, with the high volume of calls they handle.

It's time for our tax dollars to be spent wisely, for a change and go to our own police agency. I say at election time when the "good old boys" are up for re-election, let's give them the boot. Let's vote in some new faces with new ideas, which are able to keep up with a county, which is growing temendously at a rapid pace. I believe the current county council is not up to the challenge to properly govern Sussex County.

By Sussex Cop on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

On a related note, I see that DSP is now providing temporary (probably pay job) traffic enforcement on Kent Avenue in South Bethany. This has only happened since the media blitz about the veto of South Bethany's 500 foot jurisdiction expansion. I can't say that the veto was biased, but a former DSP-gone-politician caused its demise (Old Troop 7 Pete). Matter of fact, a couple former troopers that are now politicians voted for it. It's fact that the South Bethany Police noted that they didn't want to use RADAR on Kent Avenue. The revised law excluded RADAR use specifically and passed. I wonder what the true political motive was ...

The bottom line is that DSP has now been forced to show some effort on Kent Avenue, but only for a short time and with no long term affect.

In any case, South Bethany, Bethany Beach and Ocean View police will be handling all their accidents and calls for service in their absence as usual.

Just thinking out loud ... wouldn't it be easy for a county sheriff's deputy to conduct traffic enforcement on Kent Avenue since DSP is so busy? Oh, wait. I forgot that our slower lower county council and state police are hindering them from being a law enforcement entity.

By gumshoe on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Sussex Cop, I will not win a popularity contest by stating the following, but I feel it needs to be said. Some politicians and some local folks, in Sussex County who are for this "good old boy system of governing" are against needed changes, such as the extension of SBPD's zone for enforcement, which you mentioned.

These same politicians and folks who support them, have this wonderful slogan, which infuriates me, which you also mentioned, " Slower Lower Delaware". When you think about it, it is really an embarrassing slogan. In my opionion, some folks wear their ignorance and laziness like a badge of honor around here. I believe over fifty percent of the work force in this county stinks. They call themselves professionals, but they are delusional. Especially when they do not show up or even call when you need work done, after repeatedly calling them. Heaven forbid if blues or rock fish are running. Am I against fishing, hunting and having fun? No, but there is a time for work and a time for play. Some local folks put work second to play.

I know I will be receiving a post with the old, "if you don't like it here, then leave"! My response to that is, I do like it here, but things need to change for the better and some locals need adjust to the changes. Change is here whether you want it or not.

When I first moved here several years ago, I wanted to fit in. Now that I am familiar with the work ethics around here and the "good old boy system", I don't want to fit in, I just want to live here. I would like to see Sussex County start changing for the better, by modernizing and becoming a safe county, which it has the potential to become, under the right leadership.

In conclusion, before all the hate posts start coming in, I would like to state that I am not referring to all Sussex Countians, rather just the few, who are attempting to hold on to the past, which is quickly diminishing.

By XXX on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:44 am:

Why should the locals adjust? You moved here, you adjust.

By gumshoe on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 09:09 pm:

Everywhere and everything is subject to change. Change is inevitible with the large influx of people moving here. This is a good place to live, but Sussex County needs to progress with the change, instead of not preparing for the change or regressing.

When Sussex County residents are not properly protected, then changes are most definately needed.

By taxpayer on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

Sussex County Council hires the county administrator. I heard that the admin. is paid $90,000/ year & if his contract isn't renewed he gets 3-years'salary in advance. Hey that's taxpayer money.

By Melissa on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:41 am:

Part of the problem is that Council members are all for the change, especially when particular council members cannot vote on particular issues because they are partners with certain developers/realtors/lawyers who are making the county into this over developed, polluted, highway congested place it is becoming.

Seems everyone has their hands in each other's pockets around here. That means to me that things won't be dealt with on an unbiased level.
...Shady Sussex...and I don't mean shade trees are making it shady...sketchy business practices.

By Gumshoe on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:29 am:

This surplus of 12 million in Sussex Co. worries me. Is the County Council really watching our tax money that closely? They seemed suprised "to find" the surplus!
I hope they watch the money better in the future and are not surprised someday "to find" a deficit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.