Hurricane Isabel

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: Hurricane Isabel
By Eric Magill on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

Post your experiences during Hurricane Isabel in this thread.

By Rich Keefer on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

Hello, I am entering this from southcentral PA, so far nothing much but a little wind and rain here, what's the word there?

By Eric Magill on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

Lots of wind and rain at the beach but not much damage. My in-laws went to look at the ocean this afternoon in Rehoboth and when they returned, they discovered a tree had fallen and was leaning on their second-floor deck. Someone was coming over with a chain saw to try to take it down.

By Elsie Weistling on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:22 am:

Hey Magills, hope all stays well and thanks for all of the links to the web cams, the local info updates, the bouy report and alternative routes.
When I looked at the bouy info at 11:30 pm, the winds here had been steady at a lower pace for a while. I thought we were turning the storm tide corner then two or more hours before the upcoming high tide and was thrilled by the thought. The wave height started to recede slightly during the rising tide...a good sign. More importantly, the wind direction came from the SE instead of the east.
Now, all of a sudden, it seems we are gusting up to 50 miles an hour again here in Fenwick. Guess we are making this corner with a wide turn!
From our vantage point, we have only seen some shingles fly and only one lonely dune breach by a rolling wave earlier today. At around 5 pm, I walked to the ocean and the waves were rolling to the dune fence and the dune fence was fully intact.
Want to thank Isabel for leaving us pretty much alone as compared to the havoc she created other places. Stay safe all.

By Rich Keefer on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:27 am:

Boy, it looks like maybe we missed the worst of this storm, both there in Bethany and up here in PA. Thank goodness! I can't look anywhere without seeing a tree limb down or in a lot of cases the whole tree, but it could have been so much worse. Only minor flooding so far.

By Elsie on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:10 am:

Just walked up to the Fenwick Island Beach at Indian St. For as far as I can see, we still have dune fence and most of it is intact, some sagging. The difference is that we can see the whole fence now, whereas before we could only see half or less in some places. So while we lost a lot of sand into the water, it looks to be temporary. The ocean water line is about where it had been running during the last week or so, about 70 or more feet out.
Bayside streets are flooded most of the way up the canals toward the highway. That is not unexpected.
Drove Rt to Rt 360.
Just past the Narrows on Rt 1 bayside, the bay water is right at the highway. Next bay high tide may spill onto the roadway a bit if the winds don't change. Looking up the side roads in South Bethany towards the ocean, the side roads are not sand filled nor residual debris filled! Did you see that word "not"! Isn't that great for them?! Can't say anything about their oceanside road because we couldn't go there. Canal side, the canals in S. Bethany are at the very top of the bulkhead and some of the westside side streets have flood waters on them.
In Bethany, the routine loop floodprone areas had water on the road, but it was dry elsewhere, even at the firehouse. Saw one downed small tree in a front yard, not much else. Didn't go into town, just along the highway. But all looked pretty normal as far as I could see. Businesses on Rt 1 were still closed, but it was 8 a.m. Shore Stop was open and in Fenwick, the electric supply company was opening. Royal Farms was still boarded up.
Guess that's the current story as I see it. Hope this helps those far from their beach homes relax and not worry.

By Rich Keefer on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

I heard that the IR inlet bridge was closed due to possible structual damage underneath. Anybody else know anything? Thanks.

By admin on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

The inlet bridge reopened at noon. Tests showed no significant damage occurred that would make travel unsafe. Looks like Seaford was hit harder than the beach towns with power outages and flooding that breached the town bulkhead for the first time that anyone there can remember.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.