HB 317 Can this be altered at all?

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: HB 317 Can this be altered at all?
By worried about our future on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:11 am:

Has HB 317 been thought out enough? Do you think it should pass as it's written?

It seems to me that a lot of trouble could come from and happen to the 'taprooms' these underage people will be attending. It seems to me that folks willing to spend the money it would take to comply with the bill could spend money on anything more positive for the youth of the area, and build them a new skating rink to be open to the public as well as host indoor soccer or other non alcohol environment points of interest to lure our children. There could be bands booked or DJs hired to entertain the children where there would be no alcohol involved, and the risk of dropping our kids to be entertained will be greatly reduced.

I do not see how allowing this bill to pass as it is written is a benefit to anyone in the community other than the barowners that are collecting from the consumption of food and beverage at their 'taprooms'.

HB 317 on State of Delaware web site...

http://www.legis.state.de.us/Legislature.nsf/fsLIS?openframeset&Frame=Main&Src=/LIS/LIS142.NSF/Home?Openform

By Gumshoe on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:33 am:

I have been living on Delmarva for a few years now. I am sickened when I am sitting at a bar and have to tolerate little children running around the bar, who are being exposed to adults that are consuming alcohol. When I go out to a bar, I don't want to be around children. When my wife and I were raising our children, we would get a sitter. I am not speaking of taprooms, I am speaking of restuarants with a bar in them. The parents let the children play around the bar, while they sit at the bar and drink. I've even seen parents set up playpens at the bar, while they drink. I've seen other parents sit their children onto the bar stools behind them, so the children are not legally at the bar. How pathetic is that!
First, I place the blame on the parents for allowing their children to be exposed to drinking adults. I also blame the lame and backwards laws on Delmarva.
Where I came from, restuarants, bowling alleys, and other public places where children had access, were only allowed to serve beer and there were no bars at the establishments.
If the legislators really want to do it right, they should propose a bill that totally separates its restuarant section from the bar section, having the under 21 year old people separated from the drinking adults. The people that have their children at the restuarant should only be allowed to purchase beer or wine with their meal, not liquor.
As far as taprooms are concerned, children should be banned from them altogether.
Laws should be made to protect the children, when their parents are to stupid to do it themselves!

By worried on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:13 am:

Thank you so much!
My sectiments exactly!

By worried on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:39 am:

sentiments, sorry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.