County Budget Surplus

Sussex County Online User Forums: Sussex County Delaware Discussion Forum: County Budget Surplus
By Eric Magill on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 08:50 am:

What should be done with the county's growing budget surplus? Do you believe it should be saved for a rainy day as county finance officials believe we are headed for tougher economic times and much smaller surpluses? Do you believe it should be used for an across-the-board property tax cut for all county taxpayers? Do you believe it should be used for new services such as establishing a county police force, a parks and recreation department, paramedics, etc. Do you believe it should go toward targeted tax cuts to help those most in need right now? Or do you have other ideas for how to use the surplus? Post your opinions here.

By Deaver on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

Want to know what stinks? Sussex is fat with surplus (our money) but still gouges us with exorbitant "sanitary sewer service" charges. Here's another stinker, the area east of Route 1 between Lewes & Rehoboth actually reeks of sewer smells from this so-called "sanitary sewer service," so how sanitary could that be? Then why all the fuss to keep our property taxes the very lowest in the United States? Who really benefits in a big way? Would it be people who hold thousands of acres of land waiting for developers bucks & bulldozers? Yep.

By Sussex Cop on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

I think they should apply SOME surplus funding towards a future county law enforcement agency.

I'm kinda biased in that respect, but I also live in Sussex County. I want better police services just like anyone else.

By gumshoe on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

The surplus money should be used for a county police department. The chief of that department should someone besides a retired DSP Officer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.