Seaford-Laurel: Was It the Right Call?

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Seaford-Laurel: Was It the Right Call?
By Eric Magill on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 08:28 am:

Do you believe Seaford officials made the right call in cancelling this year's Seaford-Laurel game, or do you think the game should have been rescheduled for Thanksgiving weekend? Also, should precautionary measures be taken for Seaford-Laurel contests in basketball and wrestling this winter? Post your opinions here.

By wildcatzfan on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 09:03 am:

Very tough call. I think that whoever started these rumors about trouble at the game should be treated like a terrorist, for that is what they are, an American terrorist. It is a shame that while our country is going through this trying time, people cannot enjoy even a high school football game without feeling threatened. I believe that as humans, the officials had no other choice, for if something tragic did happen, they would have to live with the decision they made. The game should be reschueduled. The team deserves it, (especially the seniors), and the fans deserve it. I think precautionary measures should always be taken at sporting events where emotions always run high.

By dhscheer15 on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

the game should still be played. i mean yes it was good to cancel it for that nite, but this is a last time for some seniors..soo lets be fair about it right? even if d-twon is going all the way!!

By DSU on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

I really dont think that this should be up for discussion in a Sussex County Forum because this whole issue happened because of a lost life. So I think this whole issue shouldnt be open for discussion because this is more serious than a football game. And Mr. Eric you should feel bad for putting Little Heywards buisness out like its an opinonated topic. It doesnt matter what any one else thinks so stop poking in peoples buisness.

By wildcatzfan on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 10:15 pm:

DSU,
I don't see where he "put out" anybody's business. The issue happened because someone made threats that would be carried out at the game. I don't know what this has to do with the shooting. I think it is very unfortunate that such a young life was taken. I agree that a football game is such a small thing compared to a life. I pray for the family. But Eric's question or comment had nothing to do with anyone's personal life.

By A Seaford Student on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:08 am:

I think that it was the right decision. The game still should be played because we had a lot of disappointed seniors. It was awful on friday after Cap gave them the news to see their faces. We couldn't even have our pep rally because our officials were scared for our student body. As for the graffiti that was left on the side of our school(we all know who did it anyway) but that just shows how childish Laurel can be. We all know you did it, and as us for canceling the game we would have beat them anyway because their main player was out. Easy win right there, so you better be happy with your 4-5 record. The town of Laurel(not everyone) should have some consideration for the kid that did die. That is someones life right there. And we all are truly sorry about that. I think the game should be rescheduled for Thanksgiving day just like the way it was when our parents went to school here.

By Just a Fan on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

I think a silent game should've been played. Close down the stadium and play the game with no fans. Let the best team win without all the trash talk and threats!!!

By unknownfan on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

I think the game should be played..but only family allowed...it was the last game for some of laurels guys, i know it broke their hearts the players had nothing to do with anything that went on with the shoting and stuff, so let them play, i think it stinks that they canceled the game because it didnt matter

GOOD LUCK DHS FIRDAY NIGHT WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT YOU GUYS WOULD MAKE IT THIS FAR I LOVE YOU ALL

DHS FAN

By Seaford Fball on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 09:15 pm:

Everything that went on with the shooting had nothing to do between the two football teams. All of us (seaford) were very disappointed. We've been waiting for this game since we started practice in August. We knew we could take Laurel, they had nothing on us. Everyone wishes we could make this game up and show Laurel who is gonna keep that trophy for ANOTHER year (seaford). Anyway it's real mature what Laurel did, lets just go paint up seaford high, you sorry immature losers. Just wait until next year, were gonna keep that trophy again for a whole other year. and make you all wish you weren't out there on the feild with us.

By peacetoall on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

It's a shame that a bunch of oxygen wasters caused the game to be cancelled. We can find peace knowing that a couple of hoodlums will be gone away from society.

By JUST A THOUGHT on Thursday, November 22, 2001 - 02:59 am:

Thugs, I hate the whole image and what it stands for. You want to be a real tough guy, raise some kids with morals and values, humble yourself to an employer to provide honest support for your family, be faithfull to your loved ones, and most of all stand alone. Oh yeah and get some pants that fit.

By HUDSON on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

WHY ARE YOU STEREOTYPING BLACKS

By Billy Clinton on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

Yes, it was a good for the safety of all. Even if it was a threat or rumor, these things can't be taken lightly.

T-house

By SeafordRepresenter on Thursday, December 06, 2001 - 11:33 am:

------THE GAME,

well, i do think it was a good decision to cancel the game. do to some people that just cant go and enjoy their self at the game. im tellin you, it really crazy that they had to cancel that game. but wuz a good call.
til next time and im gone holla
SeafordRepresenter

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: