Should school choice rules be changed?

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Should school choice rules be changed?
By Raider1 on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

Did anyone read the article in the Sunday Delaware State News on athletes and school choice? For those who didn't see it, it had a number of examples of football players changing schools under the school choice rules (that basically let you go to any school in the state that you want). Do you think athletes should be able to change schools whenever they want, or do the rules need to be changed?

By Key03 on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 04:09 pm:

I did not read the article, but personally I think an athelte should feel free to go to any school they want because of athletics. Just as if a regular student leaves a school because of academics. A good example is Jamil, he is attending Central next year, he felt that Woodbridge was not right for him so he left. Good luck mil and to other athletes.

Holla a cha gurl
KeyKey

By Sportsfreak88 on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 09:19 pm:

School choice is good for the right reasons. Coaches around the Conference can say what they want. All of them recruit in one way or another, and they use school choice as a reason. Sussex Tech has been getting away with it for years. It wasn't coincidence that Young and O'neal both went to Central. NO one in the State of Delaware would transfer to either Sussex Central(Young, O'neal) or Sussex Tech (Hudson) because for the academics either school offers. Kids go to Central because they live in that area and go to Tech because it's pretty and they can take vocational classes.

By Raider1 on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 08:11 am:

I unfortunately agree that recruiting (to various degrees) has existed for a long time, and will continue regardless of most school choice rules. The existence of county wide tech schools has seen to that. What is the "right reason" for an athlete to take advantage of these rules? As "sportsfreak88" said, I think it can be agreed that academic reasons rarely play a role in an athlete's decision to change schools. My concern is, what is best for most kids? One example in the State News article was of a kid who has gone to 3 schools in as many years and his father seemed to be encouraging his son to do it. If this young man hasn't been able to fit into any of those programs, what makes him so sure he has a future in football? And in the meantime, what experiences has he missed out on - lasting friendships with classmates, support from relationships with teachers/counselors/coaches, not to mention what moving around like that could mean academically. Is there any point that "the system" needs to protect kids and parents from themselves? Another example given was a QB from Middletown that transferred to Dover because he knew he couldn't win the starting job at Middletown. What ever happened to committing yourself to working extra hard in the off-season and trying to become the best one for the job? Not to be harsh, but if he can't even win the starting job of his high-school team does he really have that bright a playing future ahead of him in college? I don't know what the right answers are, but for their sake I hope all of these young men have made the right decisions for themselves.

By Bball on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

Sportsfreak88....you should be more careful with your words about academics. I can't speak for sussex tech, but I feel that Sussex Central offers above an average academic education. If that is an opinion, fine, just state it as an opinion and not that "NO one in the state of delaware would transfer .... because of the academics.

By Sportsfreak88 on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

Bball I don't think I said anything about lack of academics at Central. I said no one in the State of Delaware would transfer to Central or Tech because of eitherof these schools academic backgrounds and I stick by that statement. I don't know of any school in sussex county that a kid would transfer to because of academics. They are all similar in academics be it above average, below or average. Kids transfer from one school to another because mom or dad are unhappy with the way their child has been treated or their lack of confidence in the school or for athletics...... period. Oh,in my opinion that is!

By Sportsfreak88 on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 07:12 pm:

P.S. I read over what I wrote previously and sent it before I had a chance to edit. I meant to say Kids that transfer from public school to public school would do so for two reasons. Mom and or Dad want him to, or for athletics. Keep in mind Central has only been a proven winner the past couple of seasons. I realize school choice has only been around a few years but I have serious doubts someone would have transfered their 5 years ago, or if they were a .500 football team. Tech has had a lot of transfers since the guy from Del State went their.

By Megha717 on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 10:53 am:

Central doesn't have any kids playing football from another school district. We had Wyatt Hall transfer for wrestling and soccer, but he's the only one last year that transferred for sports.

By Sportsfreak88 on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 08:59 pm:

Go back to sleep Megha17. You have at least 2 from woodbridge this year that transfered to central to play football. Not for the academics!

By Td6 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:16 am:

i agree whole heartedly with sportsfreak. there is no way on God's green earth young and o'neal are transferring for academics. and even though it's blatently obvious that they don't care about academics who's to say that isn't the best thing for them to do. who's to say that passing up school days with their friends isn't worth a chance at a state title and the the exposure it would bring him/them. i agree that it could hurt friendships but the chance to go play college football at a top tier school is a very hard option to turn down.

By Key03 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

I agree with with TD6 I know for a fact that Jamil and AJ did not leave the bridge for academics. I'm just saying they felt that Woodbrige FOOTBALL TEAM was not right for them. Yeah these two boys did hurts some friendships, matter of fact, one of them hurted a very important friendship. But I know they just trying to look out for their future. There is no doubt in my mind that they will have more college options at Central. I can't speak for other athletes but these two seem to be very happy where they are at. Good luck to both of you and other athletes.

Holla at cha gurl
Key

By Megha717 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

I stuck my foot in my mouth about that one. I didn't know until last night that they had guys from Woodbridge on the team. But that academics part is probably true. Look under other postings at a guy named Lander from "The Bridge". It looks like he needed to come to Central for some academics.

By Megha717 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:20 pm:

I don't blame either of them for transferring though. Woodbridge hasn't been doing anything the past 3 years and they wanted a winning season for their senior year. Good luck to both of you and the rest of the Knights!

By Raider1 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

Megha717 - please!! Woodbridge has had 3 consecutive winning seasons, including a conference title and two trips to the state playoffs. And we have every reason to believe we'll get back there this year. I agree with alot of what TD6 and KEY03 have said, but I have to dispute the theory of Jamil needing to transfer to get the attention of top colleges. He had already gotten a huge amount of attention from top schools while at Woodbridge (Maryland, Syracuse, VA Tech, etc). I also have to dispute the theory that he and AJ left to have a better chance at a state title. Central should be pretty good this year, but the competition in Division I is going to be really tough this year. They're going to have to play great all year just to win the conference, and to be honest I'd be surprised to see them make the tournament if they don't win the conference. Given those factors I think Woodbridge has just as good a shot at a title. But whatever the real reason they left I wish both AJ and Jamil a great senior year. I'm just sorry we couldn't all spend it together.

By Key03 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:35 pm:

Of course Mil got attention from top colleges at Woodbridge. All I am saying he most likely get many more. Central is known for having a great team and I am sure more scouts will be checking out there games which will give Jamil some options for college, Jamil and AJ do want a chance at the title but that's not the only reason they left it's alot more to it then that. All in all I want Woodbridge to have a good season because that's the school I go to and I will always have the "Raider Pride" and good luck to Central as well. I will cheering for both schools!!

Holla at cha gurl
Key

By Teck on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 11:52 pm:

man, them boys can go to whatever school they want to, regardless of whatever reasons. you people are just mad because these kids left ur schools to play in better programs. Its their lives, regardless what u or i think about it.

By Key03 on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 11:02 am:

I agree with you Teck, yeah it doesn't matter what we think and unfortunately I am upset that they left. Whose to say we still can't voice our opinions regardless what they do, last time I check this was a sports forum, which gives you the oppurtunity to say what you have to say. Even though it doesn't matter and they made up there mind to attend that school I am still going to let my opinion be known. I mean you voice your opinion on other postings about what Sussex Tech going to do this year and I respect that. So really I don't see nothing wrong stating my opinion even though it "doesn't matter."

Holla at cha gurl
Keyana

By Dada on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

well, upstate schools have the opportunity to recruit players from the wilmington, philly, and jersey area. both poly and sussex tech also have the option. so if down state players want to go to a school that they feel they can be successful at, i say go ahead better yourself!!

By Td6 on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:16 pm:

couldn't have said it better myself.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: