Best football team in Henlopen history

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Best football team in Henlopen history
By Carolinabluejay on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:12 pm:

How about that blue jays team in the early 80's, State Champs, beat laurel about 83-0, 2 time all state qb John Shirreffs, rb's Mike McGee, Frank Dowd, Marcus Trammell, ol anchored by D Belcher and the boys, wr Darly Brittingham, Thorton Parker, and that staunchy d, those guys just didn't win every game they humilated opps. and of course Capt. Dickerson, John Hollis,and Benny Sirman, that team was pure excellence

By Dtownhottie7 on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 09:22 am:

Blue JAYS?! what? how about them delmar wildcats?! 25 games straight what? STATE CHAMPS ONE MORE YEAR!!

By Dada on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:05 pm:

who's the last team delmar lost to...central a division 1 team...if u ask me delmar has taken advantage of being in division 2 cause if they were in division 1 we wouldn't be having this convo.

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:26 pm:

If Central was a Division II team and didn't have close to 500 more students to pick from to make up their team we might be having a different conversation too. Division I schools play Division I and Division II compete against Division II for their respective championships. It's averages. The more students you have to choose from the better your chances are of finding faster runners ,bigger people etc. Advantage...Division I. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Look at the size difference in the college divisions. The same thing. You wouldn't expect Wesley to be able to compete with Notre Dame.

By Dada on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

what are you talking about...i was that delmar is doing excactly what they should be doing and thats beating every team they play cause they are more talented...i'm not saying they should be division I or anything like that...and college has nothing to do with size of students because some schools are D-I in basketball and not in football!!

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say Dada. If size didn't matter they wouldn't have Division I and Division II. It is based on the student population. Delmar is absolutely talented, but many of their wins are against teams like Choptican, Nottingham, Riverdale Baptist etc. (JV teams at best). They are an awesome team that no one in the Henlopen Conference south will touch. But put them playing the big boys like CR, Central, Dover and I feel confident they would be an average team n. Laurel, you have beaten a horrible Cape team, and Riverdale Baptist. After 2 games your QB has a 33% completion rate according to DE preps. That won't win many championships! Lets see how you fair when you play some competitive teams. It is common knowledge around the conference that this is your year to shine because you bring nothing to the table for next year. You will not come close to beating Delmar. Remember you heard it here first.

By Dada on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 07:37 pm:

i was talking about size doesn't matter in college sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Stfreak77 on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:39 pm:

I agrees with SportsFreak.....about teams playin jv teams.....people like Laurel(no disrespect) but they are gettin all hyped cause they beat Cape and Riverdale baptist......now they think that Tech is a push over because they are 2-0 and Tech is 1-2....Hodgson is 9th in the state (and Tech got cheated out of a touchdown because of a fumble on an "unknown player") and Washington have been the Philly champs for the last 3 years and have sent 33 people their version of teh blue gold game......to tough as nails teams, and still didnt loose by more than 7 points in either.....

By Olddawg83 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:55 am:

Laurel has got it all this year. We have always had the talent but now we have the coaching to go with it. I will say right now, Laurel will win the south in football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball. If you don't believe me, wait and see...

Holla at me

By Hoops4life on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:36 pm:

Olddawg you cant be serious....There is no way they are going to win the south in football,(delmar) basketball yes...because the south is weak this year. Wrestling...no, baseball....no

Basketball is the only shot they have....the south is real weak. If laurel played in the north they would probably be the 4th best team in the north.

holla

By Dada on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:35 pm:

october 4 laurel at delmar, winner takes all...who ever wins wins the south and has bragging rights and i don't wanna hear any crying from either side...good luck to my dogs on both sides of the field!!!

hoops4life are u saying that if lauerl would play in the north for basketball they would be forth cause i don't think any team but central will give them any trouble in the north and thats if drew play because football recruitement may say he has to sit out!!

By Hoops4life on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

They would have trouble with Stech, Scentral, Dover, and CR...

There is no way weatherly is sitting out..

Don't get me wrong laurel is nice, but outside of there starters they lack depth. Elzey is nice.....

By Raider1 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

Don't be so quick to say the Laurel/Delmar game will be for the conference title. Have you seen Lake play? We all better show them some respect this year too.

By Stfreak77 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 06:56 pm:

A comment like that shows how little you know about sports Dada.......You say no one except Central would give Laurel problems in basketball.......yet, last year Tech emmbarrassed you 78-57..... and your just sayin that we are push overs?? I dont think so.

By Sportsfreak88 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

I haven't seen any team in the south play yet. But I find it difficult to believe that Laurel is so dominant this year. Especially since they have only played Cape 0-2, and Riverdale baptist 0-and a gazillion. I hear Smyrna is nasty with Cherryman running and Lake is Very good this year. Seems to me that the best Laurel can hope for is maybe 3rd.
Delmar
Lake Forest
Smyrna (toss up with Laurel)
Laurel
Milford
Indian River
Woodbridge

By Dada on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:14 pm:

stfreak77...tech is nice and i forgott about them my bad...but this year i don't think they can match up with laurel...sorry...but ro and whom ever else is on that team good luck!!!!

By Olddawg83 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:41 pm:

C-hop is gone....teck is done

By Stfreak77 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:41 pm:

You are right......Hop is gone, but we still have some talent......not sayin we are gonna be as good as we were with Hop...but Brandon and Kevin are pretty good, so.... I guess we'll have to wait and see, its the only real way to find out....It'll be a game to watch though either way

By Raider1 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:18 am:

SportsFreak - what are you doing to me??? I wouldn't expect anybody to put us at the top of the pile yet based on our first two games, but to put my Raiders behind Indian River really hurts!

By Sportsfreak88 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:44 am:

It's a toss up!!! No disrespect intended. Just going on what I read in the papers.

By Teck on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 09:45 am:

here we go again. OLD DOGGG, Did those tech boys not beat Laurel by 21. AFTER C Hop got hurt in the beginning of the 3rd quarter. So u had a quarter and a half to make a miracle comeback. WHO WON? Matter face i seen yall laurel cats watchin tech and lake at cape. Wishin u had another chance. Say what u know, not what u think. HOlla

And another thing, Delmar football will be laurel again for like the 6th yr straight. Don't get hype off Riverdale Baptist? And Cape? K Maull is really gon give it to yall on Friday. You betta hope they bus break down before they get there

By Olddawg83 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:50 am:

you got alot of mouth...do you play? or is band more you thing?

By Olddawg83 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:43 pm:

I am sorry about some of the recent messages I have bee posting. They have been immature and outrageous. I didn't mean any harm by anything that I have said in this or any other forum. If I have offended anyone in anyway then I am truly sorry. Once again, I apologize form some of my comments, they were not necessary.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: