Delmar next year???

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Delmar next year???
By Sportsfreak88 on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 09:45 am:

Ok.......... It's a given that Delmar will cruise to it's 3rd straight Division II championship. And they certainly deserve it. However, watch how fast Hearn gets outta dodge after this season. He loses the great majority of players to graduation after this season. Finally Delmar will start on the downslide and some of the other schools will rise to the top. Laurel will be a basement drewler again after this season. That leaves Milford, Lake and Indian River battling it out for the South next year. Smyrna is a fluke this year!

By Catfan5 on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 11:09 am:

While Delmar is losing 18 or so player to graduation, we have a lot of talented sophmores and juniors this year playing. I admit that Delmar will not be as strong as we have been next year, we will still be an awesome team. I don't see a 4th championship but I do see a very good year for the Cats.

By Wildcat4ever on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

Hearn will not be going anywhere for quite a while.He is a good coach that has brought a good program to Delmar.The Pop Warner pogram has also been a big help to Delmar Football.Before getting to next season, we need to remain focused on this season if we are going to bring home three in a row! Delmar will lose a very talented group of kids after this season,but as Catfan5 said we have other kids that are getting valuable varsity playing time on a weekly basis this year and will be able to step in and contribute next season.When you are at the top there is only one way to go and thats down. Delmar may slide some, but will still be just as good or even better than any team in the division. GO DELMAR FOOTBALL

By Sportsfreak88 on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

OK.......... You heard it here first. Hearn leaves after this year!

By Catfan5 on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

sportsfreak...keep in mind that this is Dave Hearn son's senior year. so if he leaves for any reason next year it won't be because he's deserting the team, it's because maybe after Travis is gone he isn't as attached to the game anymore. w/e Coach Hearn does, the wildcats will support his decision and we will still roll over most teams in the conference reguardless of who's coaching!!!

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 09:13 pm:

This is true, but deep down he knows this is it for dominating like they have and he's going out as a winner and I can't blame him. Hopefully the obnoxious announcer that Delmar has will go with him!

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 05:52 pm:

Actually, I think Delmar's announcer is the best there is. I have been to other games where there is no play by play and no explanation of penalties. Announcers need character, which is something othere schools evidently do no believe in.

By Sportsfreak88 on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:47 pm:

Only a fan of Delmar would like him as an announcer. He is degrading, cocky and obnoxious. I wasn't sure if it was just me so I happened to mention it to others who have heard him and they were in agreement with me. If you ask around the Henlopen Conference I guarantee you will hear the same comments. Character is great, as well as explaining penalties, but rubbing it in opposing teams faces in a "character" way is not cool. A good announcer tries to be impartial (showing a little more emotion for the home team is normal). I heard that Delmar was beating Indian River by 30+ points and he still directed everyones attention to the field so people could witness a State record field goal attempt. You announce that after the person makes it. To me that is rubbing it in.

By Td6 on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 10:16 pm:

To tell you the truth I actually played in the Ir-Delmar game. well to be honest I didn't get to play much because I'm the kicker but I actually enjoyed the fact that they have a decent announcer. they are hard to find these days and although I think it was completely obserd to try a 65 yard field goal I have to say that I probably would've tried to call attention to it if it were my team.And nothing against cody collins but it was a relief to see him completely miskick the ball right into the offensive line.

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 10:33 pm:

Thank you TD6. I would also think that if any other kicker would have attempted the same he would have brought attention to it as well. I don't see where any of his comments are obnoxious or degrading. Obviously those you asked were NOT Delmar fans and may have had a chip on their shoulder anyway because their team was getting beat. Doesn't matter if you like it anyway, when you enter "Wildcat Country", you have to live with the way we like it. Case closed.

By Sportsfreak88 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 03:26 pm:

Just remember..... what goes around comes around. I can't wait until you enter "other countries" next year.

By Catfan5 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

fortunately for Delmar we are more than fair-weather fans. we will still be there supporting our guys no matter what the score - too bad most of you can't say the same - we usually have more people on the visitors side than the home team has. also, about Cody Collins - he has made that kick MANY times in practice - and he will break the state record if given the chance - if not this year than surely next year. also, our announcer has great personality. the worst announcer i heard all year was at Milfod. He would say stuff like "Looks like they're setting up for a screen pass - better shift right guys" - I mean come on is he an announcer or a coach?

By Sportsfreak88 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

Like the announcer for Delmar telling the crowd announcing that a call the ref made should have been different for instance.... "looked like a good hit to me but they're marking it off anyway" I mean come on is he an announcer or a ref?

By Raider1 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

While I certainly hope next year is a rebuilding year for Delmar (its about time they lost a game), I'm sure they'll still be good. There aren't many coaches in the Henlopen that I can say I truly respect, but Coach Hearn is at the top of my list. Whether winning or losing he has always seemed to conduct himself in an appropriate manner, and has always earned the respect of his players, coaches and the community. I hope he stays on to coach for years to come, unless he'd like to come on up to the 'Bridge because we sure could use a head coach of his quality! As for the announcer - yes, he's very annoying. The worst was when we played down there a few year's back and he made those awful cat noises!! Even if I was a Delmar fan, that would have been too much. Good luck in the playoffs Delmar!

By Dhsmom7 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 07:33 pm:

You have class Raider1 - but all of us who are from Delmar know that announcer and he does get a little excited. He played football when we did have a rebuilding year - well actually we had several rebuilding years when he was playing. He means no harm with anything he says. I also have to say that I'm pretty tired of all the speculation about next year, let's get through this year first.

By Sportsfreak88 on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 08:11 pm:

I sure hope no one thinks that I am bashing Hearn. He is a competitor and a class act. I was only saying that he'll be gone after this year. What else would he have to prove??? He could go to a small college and coach. As for the announcer, I was just giving an opinion to start some debate. I felt in the spirit of the political season, it was appropriate!!!
Peace!

By Catfan5 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

It doesn't matter who the coach is next year (although we all hope Coach Hearn will stay!) Delmar still has some of the best players in the conference. And while we are losing players, everyone acts like we are the only school that is. everyone has seniors on the team that won't be there next year.

By Td6 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

There is no way that Cody Collins could make that kick. And i would venture to guess that he has never made it in practice since that would probably set an NFL record and well to break it to you easy a junior in high school just isn't as good as an NFL kicker. Oh yeah and i remember him specifically saying there was no way in H... that i was gonna make that even with 40 mph winds at my back.

By Sportsfreak88 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

My point with the kick was, when you are killing a team like they were. You don't direct people to watch someone "run up" more points regardless of how far the kick was from. They had no business trying a field goal from any distance with the lead they had. Had he made the kick then the announcer could let people know it was a State record.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: