Tournament Locations

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Tournament Locations
By Raider1 on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:51 am:

Did anybody read the article in yesterday's News Journal about changes to the football tournaments? They want to hold both Div I and II finals at UD this year, one on Friday night and one on Saturday night. This is yet another example of the powers that be thinking life in Delaware only exists above the canal. I have been going to the final game of both divisions for years and have never had a real problem with parking or getting a ticket except for one year for the Div I final up-state (I think that was St. Mark's & Newark). Having these games in a stadium the size of UD will take so much away from the game - even a crowd of 5,000 will make the place look empty instead of the overflowing high-school stadiums we're used to seeing. Theoretically there could be a Laurel - Delmar final this year. What sense does it make to have them play all the way up there???? Would those schools have any say in getting the site changed if that should happen? As players what do you guys think?

By Football Freak on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:54 am:

Raider1, I agree with you 100%. That is the dumbest thing they have come up with yet. If there is a Laurel-Delmar final then they should change the game to downstate somewhere. If they don't change it there won't be the crowd that there would be if they had it downstate. Having been to the finals also, the atmosphere for the finals in a smaller filled to capacity crowd is awesome! It won't be the same if they don't change it from UD. If SC is in the final, it should be moved closer downstate also. Anything to accomodate the upstate teams!

By fan on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

Raider1 i agree if 2 downstate teams are in the final game i think it should be downstate.

By DTown Fan on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:34 pm:

I agree with you too I think the game should be downstate because I think everyone knows it is gonna be the Cats and the Dogs fightin it out. That is one of the biggest rivalries and for them to be playin in the state championship makes the game even a bigger event! I know every person from Laurel and Delmar will be at that game no matter where its held but I think in that big of a stadium the crowd wont be anything and thats a great part about going to a high school football game, hearing the fans getting pumped up. I think that Delmar and Laurel should flip a coin and whoever wins is where the game should be played. I mean come on people its a 15 minute round trip!!

By sports_is_life on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 12:02 am:

well, i agree with you all about a downstate game, specially if it is delmar and laurel. but if the game is at UD, how about all the fans from delmar and laurel, and from all of sussex county make the trip up there and have a sold out crowd that not even the blue hens can top. thats just my opinion.

By Wildcatz2 on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:32 am:

I think it would be a sold out crowd too. Last year, Delmar packed the visitors stands and there still wasn't enough room. I wasn't really impressed with the UD stadium though. But none of our local stadiums would be able to hold all the fans if we have a Cat & Dog contest.

By Raider1 on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 08:31 am:

I really like your enthusiasm, but the UD stadium has around 22,000 seats - somehow I don't think a game between any two high-school teams would sell the place out! Seaford or Central would probably have sufficient room for a crowd, but it would be a tight fit (or even DelState as a worst case). But I think that's the best part - the appearance of being surrounded by a few thousand yelling, cheering fans that close to the field is pretty exciting and that would be lost at UD.

By Bulldog Pride on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 09:11 am:

The Delmar-Laurel Championship Game which it should be if everything goes right should not be held at UD. It should be either at Laurel, Delmar,Seaford, or Sussex Central. There will be plenty of room and it wouldn't be sold out! Whenever Laurel and Delmar play it is always crowded, there is plenty of room, and it isn't sold out because alot of people stand up around the fences. Moving the game to UD is going to eliminate some of the crowd becuase of the travel involved to get there.The decision should be left up to the two coaches involved instead of a committee that is only worried about the upstate teams convenience! The excitement of a championship game especially with your #1 rival is even better in a smaller stadium with the crowds close to the field, packed in the stands and cheering together for their respective teams.

By shoreman on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

What a joke! If they make Delmar and Laurel play in UD then There is something wrong.

By Dhsmom7 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:37 pm:

I have to agree with everything that has been said. To add my two cents - it seems as though the powers that be need to realize southern delaware has some teams to be reckoned with, especially since you can't go any further south than two of the teams that are in the play offs. HERES TO SOUTHERN DELAWARE!!!!!!!!!! I would also like to offer my congratulations to Delmar and Laurel on a great regular season.

By Catfan5 on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 06:26 pm:

Just read in the NewsJournal that the championship games WILL be held at UD. I guess they don't think it will matter if it is Delmar and Laurel. Also, one game will be on Friday night and the other will be on Saturday night. Hopefully, if Delmar or Laurel (hopefully both) are playing, they will at least schedule that game for Sat. night to allow travel time, etc. Also, I read that the tickets are going to be $7 each - highway robbery.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: