Howard @ Laurel and Hodgson @ Delmar

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: Howard @ Laurel and Hodgson @ Delmar
By Dtownwildcats on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 11:24 am:

predictions....thoughts??? How about the posibility of a Delmar Laurel State Championship game??

By Laurels_Finest on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

i think it will happen!!!!

Good Luck to everyone playing!!!

By Dada on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

all my bulldogs hold it down and delmar do the same...ya'll both are really good teams and i widh ya'll the best of luck...no matter the out comes ya'll all are winners

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

I hope it is a Laurel - Delmar championship! I hope Laurel crushes Delmar!!! Good luck Bulldogs!! Actually I am getting to the point that I hope whoever plays Delmar wins!

By Catfan5 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

We're use to that atttitude. I think everyone in the state feels that way. But we still love our guys. Our day to lose will come - but I don't think it's going to be this year.

By Stfreak77 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

I dont think everyone in the state feels that way, people in the north don't really care about delmar cause they know delmar would not be the power that they are if they stepped up to the big boys...I havent seen delmar trying to play St. Marks or Newark or even Central, they wouldnt stand a chance

By Wildcatz2 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:16 pm:

STfreak77, did you see Central play Friday night? I think a Central rematch would be no problem for Delmar. I thought I would see a good game Friday night and all I saw was a sloppy SC team try to muddle through. I hope they play better than that in the playoffs. As far as Newark is concerned, if M-town can beat them, so could we. You must represent a loser team and have a big chip on your shoulder. We played to win this year and we deserve to be in the playoofs. Simple as that.

By Teck on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 09:33 am:

Somebody gon knock delmar off. Not hatin, jus statin

By Stfreak77 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:24 am:

I know, I dont have a chip on my shoulder, and I dont have anything against Delmar, I'm just stating you wouldnt be the team you are in the South,

By Wildcat4ever on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

Jealousy,Jealousy,Jealousy!!!!!!!!

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Maybe somebody will Teck, but it sure ain't gonna be you!!

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

Uh, hate to tell you STfreak77, but we are in the south. And you must have something against Delmar to want to see anyone win but us.

By Stfreak77 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

I love how people put words in my mouth, I do not believe that I ever said that I want anyone to win but you, there are a few teams in this tournament I'd love to see you stomp...and I hope you do. All I said is, you wouldnt be such a power if you were in the North, at least not one with a winning streak such as yours

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:19 pm:

Um, why don't you read your own post, a few up, and I quote "Actually I am getting to the point that I hope whoever plays Delmar Wins." I am not putting words in your mouth. Just for the record, you never said north, you said south. But whatever. Sometimes I think you are on here just to hear yourself "talk".

By Stfreak77 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:12 am:

Wildcatz2, you are a smart one....I'm wondering if you even read through the posts now, because if you did, you'd of realized that SportsFreak88 said that, not me.....so next time, make sure you know what your saying before you say it

By Sportsfreak88 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:23 am:

I said that I am getting to the point that I hope Delmar gets beat. All the talk from fans that say they "love their boys" regardless of who well they do is a bunch of garbage!!! If you were not successful I doubt you would be so enthusiastic about Delmar. Let's see how much you "love your boys" when the downslide starts!!

By Wildcatz2 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

Ha . You are right, I apologize, too may freaks around here. Yeah, it's the Sportsfreak that's the buttmunch. Sorry to you ST.l

By Td6 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

personally i hope delmar keeps on winning because they're the only team left undefeated since central choked. and delmar could definetly kill almost every team in the north,which is now dare i say it worse then the south is. The only team in the north worth anything is Central and now they're going downhill.

By Stfreak77 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:50 pm:

no prob

By Delmarfan on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:35 pm:

Good luck to the Delmar Wildcats tonight!!

Keep your focus and have fun!

By Dtownhottie7 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:35 pm:

Congrats to delmar, tonite was a VERY tough game, but defense was on, offense struggled some, but we came out on top!! and i too would LOVE to see Delmar-Laurel, championship! (hmm...31-0??) what's this 34??? Good Job boys! Good Luck Laurel!

By Catfan5 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:54 pm:

OK - the Cats are there - now it's the Dog's turn. Good Luck tomorrow night. We'll be rooting for you.

By Wildcatz2 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 11:34 pm:

OK Dogs, do your thing!! Congrats D-town and good luck Laurel!!

By Jaydawg4 on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 02:25 am:

td6- i have been wondering who you are?? i mean u probably wont tell me but i have just been wondering if you dont want to dont tell me thats kool just thought i'd ask! peace

By Delmarfan on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 11:09 am:

Congratulations Wildcats!
Good luck to the Bulldogs tonight!

By Td6 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 10:35 pm:

IR's SS

By Jaydawg4 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:03 am:

ok thats kool i mean i dont no ur name or anything just by ur position but who knows maybe after this year i will... no im not talking any noise casue i have nothing to prove and if u think so thats kool just look at my stats from lastyear and no im not trying to brag just saying i had a pretty good year and u should be able to agree!! im not runnin my mouth this year ill just do it on the field!! so ill cya on the field td6!! lata

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:23 pm:

Somebody tell me about the fans who were booing the other night when their team was faced with a little adversity (loseing)? And please tell me if these are the same fans who will "love" their boys and their team no matter what??

By Delmarfan on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

Sorry to disappoint you s/freak, but the fans in question were not booing their team. They were booing a call that was made and and a call that was not made,that they thought should have been.
In Delmar we do support our teams no matter what.

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

No disappointment here. Not the impression you left on a lot of observers!

By Delmarfan on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

Folks with negative attitudes usually jump to negative conclusions.

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

All I'll say is I specifically asked who the crowd was booing. There was no doubt in his mind, and bye the way my source was one of your fans for the game! He also said that it was like Jekyll and Hyde when Delmar was losing. Said the crowd acted like spoiled brats!!!!!

By Wildcatz2 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:23 pm:

Yeah right. You will never get us to believe that one of our fans would say that. If a SPECTATOR at the game said that, they he can't be considered a true fan. I think you are the one who is acting like a sore loser because obviously your team (whoever that is) lost out a long time ago.

By Sportsfreak88 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:50 pm:

I didn't say one of your fans. What I said was a fan of yours for that game. They were cheering for Delmar to beat an upstate team. The conversation was about the article in the News Journal on Delmar fans. The comment was made that he wished the News Journal could have seen the way Delmar fans turned against, what seemed to him, their coach when he called a play that didn't work and they started booing him. And I have no allegiance to any team. I am a fan of High School football. The purpose of this forum is to create discussion and that is what I do. You can't handle the fact that someone might not "worship" Delmar and could have the nerve to call you on the carpet about something. Plus, I cheer for the underdog. As I said before, I want to see how many people are packing the Delmar stands when your team isn't a winner. I don't remember many fans in the 70's 80's and 90's. True fans stick with their team through the good and the bad. Delmar does not have a history of doing that. Am I wrong?

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:23 am:

Fan is short for fanatic, therefore the person you describe is not a fan. Your friend, source, bug in your ear, whatever you want to call him was a spectator who may have been routing for our team at that time. Nothing more. Since it appears that I am nowhere near as old as you are, I do not know what happened in Delmar during those decades you describe. I guess I will just have to trust you, which by the way, I find hard to do. You seem to twist words and circumstances to suit your own fancy. For instance, I can almost bet what you mean is "the stands aren't AS PACKED as they are now." I didn't move to Delmar until 91 and really had no interest to go to a local game until around 97 when I thought my boys were old enough to enjoy it. I remember getting beat up by a few teams and falling short. I don't remember the crowd ever being sparse. Of course STfreak, being the foottball follower that you are, should know that even if that were true, ALL teams go through the same thing. Last year we had more fans in the stands than Laurel did and we were on their field. Woodbridge's following has taken a BIG nosedive. Even the NFL goes through it. No one could get tickets after the Ravens won the Superbowl, I would venture to guess it isn't as difficult now. I don't care if you "worship" the Wildcats or not, and I am quite sure no one else does either. Whether you like them or not, you have to admit they play good ball.

By Wildcatz2 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:25 am:

OOPs, did it again, I meant Sportsfreak. ST, please change your name so I can keep it straight. Let this one keep his name since he seems more freaky than you do.

By Delmarfan on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:19 am:

Yes, Sportsfreak; you are wrong. I suspect that I am quite a bit older than you. I graduated from Delmar in the 50's and my brothers and sisters did also. My kids and stepkids as well as several neices and nephews also graduated from Delmar during the 70's and 80's. A grandson graduated in 2000. My family has always followed and supported the school and it's athletic programs. One thing you are right about is that yes, we did get beat up on a lot over the years; however we won
a few games also. Never in all those years can I remember the community deserting their teams,and never can I remember ever seeing sparse attendance . The attendance has grown over the years as has the population. As for Delmar's fan reputation, you are absolutely wrong!! Delmar fans have always been known to be loyal and maybe even a little bit rowdy! I think you and your observer heard what you wanted to. No way did Delmar Fans boo their coach or their team. Why don't you try to stimulate some positve discussion for a change.

By Sportsfreak88 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:34 am:

Obviously I have struck a nerve and I don't won't anyone getting high blood pressure over high school football!!! LOL. Have a safe and happy holiday and good luck this Saturday. I'll be back next Fall.

By D85 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:26 am:

Freak speaking as one of the booers in question I can tell you that all though I can't speak for the entire section I can speak for myself and the 15 to 20 people around me and we were not booing the team or Coach Hearn but the refs for a call we felt was wrong and a call that we felt should have been made and wasn't.Delmar does not boo our team.In response to some of your other postings Delmar fans support their team winning or losing. (I know I attended Delmar during both kinds of seasons,the 80's)And while the stands might not have been overflowing like they are now they were far from empty and they stayed that way until the final whistle. Which is more than can be said for the majority of schools,past and present.

By Delmarfan on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:17 pm:

You are not only negative but you are also disrespectful and rude!

By Dhsmom7 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

Well said Delmarfan. I hope this nut moves away before next fall.!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way I had a son graduate in 2000. I probably know who you are.

By Td6 on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

I've got but one thing to say about this conversation. Everyone here seems to be a die hard Delmar football fan and i commend everyone for that because die hard fans for any high school sport are extremely had to find but I played a game at Delmar and I looked at some of the fans and to tell you the truth about half of them were'nt even interested in the game they just yelled at our team and made themselves look like complete idiots. I'm not trying to say Delmar's fans aren't loyal i'm just saying maybe the 3 or 4 of you in this forum aren't the norm. There may be a possibility that everyone does not care as much as you do and altough I think it's great that you are there for the team no matter what I have a hard time beleiving the statement that all those fans would come to support the team say if the team was 5-5 or 2-8. No disrespect meant i'm just stating my observations and opinions.

By D85 on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 06:21 pm:

If you read what we are saying we admit that the stands might not be "as full" as they are now.However the insinuation that there would be practically no fans or even very few fans is simply not consistant with Delmar's history and you guys act as if you know Delmar's history.I
am a part of Delmar's history ,I can't speak for the future but I will set the record straight on the past.We have ALWAYS had LARGE and LOUD crowds at our football games(no matter the record).That is from the 70's to the present.Also the fans may have looked like idiots to you because you were on the opposing team,however I guess that's just one more special thing about Delmar just as the fans are never let down or embarrassed by our team the teams are never let down or embarrassed by our fans.You have to live it to understand it.I'm very glad that I lived it.I no longer live in Sussex County but because of the bond that you develope for your "Home Town" when you grow up in a place like Delmar I still follow and support the teams as much as I can.No disrespect meant I'm just stating my EXPERIENCE.

By D85 on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 06:23 pm:

P.S. we had several 5-5 or worse seasons in the 70's and 80's.

By Delmarfan on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

A contibuting factor to Delmar's apparently
unbelieveable "fan support"; is just possibly
due to the fact that todays players are sons and grandsons of the players from those teams of
years gone by. I suggest that you ask some older folks in your community and I think you will find that Delmar has always attended and supported Delmar sports. Apparently since it is so difficult for some of you to believe,you have probably never experienced this kind of support. For that I am truly sorry. There has never been a time when the community turned away from our school system as is proven in the referendum that prduced our new school and a huge tax increase for Delmar residents. Bottom line is it dosen't really matter what you believe. We know our community far better than you and that is the key COMMUNITY. I grew up in Delmar and I raised my family in Delmar and I am sooo glad I did. I hope that when you grow up and decide to have a family, that you find a great little town like Delmar to do it in.

By Wildcatz2 on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

Gosh Delmarfan, you almost brought a tear to my eye. I grew up in Salisbury and attended Bennett. At that time our football team went undefeated for three years and went to the MD Championship. Did you know that? Probably not. No one did. There were no firetrucks and fans waiting to welcome the boys back. As I said before, I moved here in 91. One day, after going to the grocery store, I saw fire apparatus, police cars, people hanging out in the lot and a bunch of cars painted blue and orange with streamers of the same color attached to every antenna. Curiousity got the better of me and I finally asked someone what was up. They said they were waiting for the girls softball team to return home from States. "Did they win?", I asked. "Nope", was the reply. Then and there, I knew Delmar was the place for me and I have been in awe of the community and its togetherness ever since. I have two boys now, 8 and 10. I will never consider moving from this area. EVER. If you live in Delmar, you are never without a friend. Hard times will be met with support. I love this town, and I LOVE MY WILDCATS!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: