High School Football Season

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: High School Football Season
By Eric Magill on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:57 am:

With practice starting Friday, Aug. 15, and the season starting less than a month from now, it's time to think about who the best players and teams will be in the Henlopen Conference this season.

In the Henlopen South, will three-time defending state champion Delmar win it again, or will the Wildcats' graduation of so many seniors throw the race wide open? Laurel appears to be the favorite, but perhaps Milford can put it all together. Or, maybe Indian River or Woodbridge can pull off a surprise like Laurel did last year.

In the Henlopen North, can Sussex Central defend its crown after losing Jamil Young, Andrew Weatherly, David Pusey, et. al? The other Sussex teams in the North, Cape, Tech and Seaford, were down on their luck last year. Can any of them make a run at the title?

Post your opinions here. If you don't have an account, email emagill@scdel.net with the user name and password you'd like to use.

By Raider1 on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

Much as I hate to say it, look for Laurel to take the south this year. Delmar, Smyrna and IR should be a little thin with all the seniors they lost last year, but Coach Hearn always seems to come through with a good team. Milford could be suprisingly good now that they have some coaching stability. Don't know yet about Woodbridge - we should definitely be better than last year (yeah, I know - we couldn't be much worse), but once again it will depend on whether anybody steps up to lead the team and how much effort everybody puts in. Unfortunately last I heard we only had 9 games on the schedule - I don't understand what coach is doing on that one. Good luck Raiders!

By Raider1 on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

Just found out a 10th game has been added for us (WB) - good job filling up the schedule guys!

By Dtownfan on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:32 pm:

I think Delmar will be tough this year. Just like Raider said Hearn can always put a good team on the field. Will they 4-peat...don't get me wrong I hope it does happen but we have lost a lot of our expierenced players. I think Laurel looks to be the favorite as much as I hate to say it. Good Luck Cats and prove me wrong...go out and win another one!! Get 'em fellas!!

By Ballplaya69 on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

Not sure what Milford lost to graduation, but if they still have the nucleus of players from last year and can adjust to the new coach, they are a sleeper to win the south. I don't think you can count out Lake this year either,but Laurel will definately be the team to beat. They have one of the best quarterbacks in the state, but without Ridley does he have someone to throw to?

By Ss44 on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

central doin they thing so far. 2-0. keep it up fellas!!

By Delmarfan on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 10:08 am:

Congratulations INDIAN RIVER!! Good Luck in the
tournament. Keep it in the south!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: