2001 Henlopen Conference wrestling tournament

Sussex County Online User Forums: Henlopen Conference Sports Forum: 2001 Henlopen Conference wrestling tournament
By Eric Magill on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

So what did you think of the 2001 Henlopen Conference wrestling tournament? You can voice your opinions here on the controversial ruling that cost Laurel's Adam Ralph the 171-pound title, congratulate the four Sussex County wrestlers who won conference titles, or write any other opinions you have of this year's tourney.

By A. Roach on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

The officials made a mistake. But, I didn't think it fair that the crowd booed Palmer at CR for the official's mistake.
Coach Rogers stated very clearly in your article that the stalling point should have not have been changed. I agree. I think that a tie score would have given the wrestlers opportunity on their own merit to name the champion of the 171 weight class. Hats off to the officials, though. What a thankless job. Hats off to Ralph and Palmer who both showed maturity in good sportsmanship beyond their years.

By Eric Magill on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

For anyone who read our Henlopen Conference wrestling story before 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18, I've made some corrections after going over my videotape.

Referee Ed Janvier gave Adam Ralph of Laurel an offensive stalling warning with 1:42 left in the third period and Ralph ahead 4-3. After CR's Brian Palmer took a 5-4 lead on a reversal, Janvier hit him with an offensive stalling warning with 1:15 left.

Ralph then escaped to tie the match 5-5 with 1:10 to go, and after Ralph scored the go-ahead takedown for a 7-5 lead with 42 seconds left, CR coach Dickie Howell, on a tip from an assistant, lodged his protest at the next stoppage at 32 seconds when Ralph and Palmer slid out of bounds.

Sorry for the confusion, but it was very confusing.

I agree with A. Roach, too. Adam Ralph showed incredible restraint.

I also want to point out that the video clearly shows a laser pointer coming out of the stands and into Janvier's eyes. While I understand the stakes are high and that the referees blew it, they certainly don't warrant an attempt to damage someone's eyes.

By Mike Oxbig on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 01:44 am:

Will Saylor did a great job in this tournament and in all of his matches this year. He shows great maturity both as a wrestle and in person. hats off to the other competitors and there were some great matches. Danny Caroll defeating Andre Cannon in the semi- finals. I think it was a very good tournament.

By WeepingRose17 on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

I would personally give the props to Ken Monk from Dover(103lb) that he deserved. He came into the season halfway through and went into the tournament with a 2-0 record. He surprised a lot of people by coming out of no where. He did an excellent job, just like all the other wrestlers.

By Mike Oxbiggest on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

Well give Will SAILER his props for sticking Ken Monk on his back. Give SAILER his props for not losing to anyone in Delaware all season. And give the coaches props for turning a freshman into a conference champ with their secret move... the CRIPPLED SCHNAUZER! (oops. I probably shouldn't have told that) Indian River never gets any respect.

By Bulldog Fans on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 09:15 pm:

All of the officials are intimidated by CR and Coach Dickie Howell. The 171 match proved it! None of the other coaches in the conference would have been allowed to stand on the mat as long as he did complaining about the call. He got his way as usual. Adam Ralph is an awesome wrestler and person. He showed alot of class after the match considering he won and has nothing to show for it. We are all proud of him here at Laurel and he is our 171 Henlopen Champion. It is a shame that other people decide the match instead of the two awesome wresters that were out on the mat.

By Bulldog Fans on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 09:19 pm:

All of the officials are intimidated by CR and Coach Dickie Howell. The 171 match proved it! None of the other coaches in the conference would have been allowed to stand on the mat as long as he did complaining about the call. He got his way as usual. Adam Ralph is an awesome wrestler and person. He showed alot of class after the match considering he won and has nothing to show for it. We are all proud of him here at Laurel and he is our 171 Henlopen Champion. It is a shame that other people decide the match instead of the two awesome wresters that were out on the mat.

By Bulldog Fans on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 09:21 pm:

By J. Long, Bulldog fan on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:24 pm:

I witnessed the 171 bout at Milford High School on Saturday evening and was appalled at the blatant officiating errors during that match. The article on this website only confirmed my suspicion that the officials had made a mistake in their final ruling. It is sad that officials are so intimidated by a coach that they will not only bend the rules to that coach's favor but rob another young man of his rightful win. Adam Ralph exhibited great restraint and character during the whole ordeal. He took his place on the stand during the recognition ceremony with the grace that he always characteristically shows. Adam congratulated Palmer (another young man who showed good character), and showed no malice toward Palmer nor the officials. As a public school teacher, I try to impress on my students to "do the right thing." If only adults would heed that advice!
Congratulations to all Henlopen Conference wrestlers and especially those participating in the States this coming weekend!

By dad on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 10:40 pm:

The most thing that impressed me about Adam and always has, is not just the superb wrestler he has been, but the class and sportsmanship he has brought to the sport. I think he handled himself in a great fashion that we all wish we could do in a situation of sorts. This is not the first time Adam has encountered situations like this in the sport & he has always handled it in the same great manner as he did in the finals. Situations like that out of our young men and women tend to be contagious to everyone involved including dad, where sometimes i think he teaches me instead of me teaching him.He does not like to dwell on the past so good luck in the states. Something good will come of this you betcha. Adam found a way to be bigger than the sport. Good luck son & keep your head high. 171!!!!

By fan on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 02:15 am:

great job andre cannon. everyone knows what u are capible of and that u had a hurt elbow!! so i would like to congragulate you on ur season this year and remember ur only a jounior, senior next year. make the best of it!!!! good job amdre!!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: