When will Fenwick Island get high speed internet access?

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: When will Fenwick Island get high speed internet access?
By Jack Childers on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 09:34 am:

When will Fenwick Island & Ocean City get HIGH SPEED ACCESS to the Internet???
Comcast Cable Company has the franchise for Ocean City, Maryland and Fenwick Island Delaware. In a telephone conversation with Comcast on Jan 6, 2003 I was told that we could not expect to get high-speed internet access from Comcast till 2004. This means we will have to wait at least a year or possibly even two years. Bishopville, Maryland and Selbyville, Delaware have had high-speed access through their cable company for over 2 years. It seems to me that if these small communities can get it, why can't we? Fenwick Island & Ocean City town councils need to look at their franchise agreement with Comcast or see about getting a cable company that will serve the public.
The cost of getting High Speed Access is prohibitive at this time from other sources such as satellite and antenna. After installation they cost about $180.00 per month. Installation would be over $500.00. Internet access through our cable company should run around $40.00 a month.
The following article was in the January 2003 issue of Business Report Kent & Sussex Counties, Delaware.
Experience High Speed Dedicated Access
If you believe that your company could benefit from a faster Internet connection, research the possibility of high speed dedicated access.
High speed dedicated access, or broadband access, presents a wealth of opportunities for enhancing the efficiency of any organization or individual.
In the past; cost, location and accessibility were major obstacles between Delmarva businesses and the use of broadband solutions. This is no longer the case. In fact, there are more options than ever before.
Most businesses find that the dollars they spend on a high-speed connection are far less than the dollars they save when implementing it into their daily operations.
Jack Childers
Sea Shell City
Fenwick Island DE
seashell@dca.net

cc:
Wave
Ocean City Council
Fenwick Island Council
Ocean City Today
The Dispatch
Delaware Coast Press

By The Rock on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:12 am:

Fenwick Town Council does not want high speed communication capability. The less communication the better. Keep the people uninformed because they dont need to know anything anyway because the Great OZ(Town Council) knows everything. Mr. Childers you are nothing but a rabble rouser for suggesting such a dangerous thing.
The Great OZ

By TaxpayerBusinessman on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

I would also be interested in why Town Council Meetings are not taped and shown on the Government Access channel, like every other town with a cable contract. Probably the slick negotiating skills of our elected officials, or perhaps there are things they do not want people to see, just as there are things they dont want people to hear. You are only as sick as your secrets eh nobody.

By Edie Falco on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

No high speed Internet access in Fenwick Island yet??
Residents could access news of corruptness and official misconduct much quicker! At least Sussex County Online headlines would pop up faster on their screens! Speaking of which, I can't wait to see the headline that reads "Fenwick Island Council Members Charged By Feds"
Lions and tigers and bears! Oh, my!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: