Officer's Leaving AGAIN!!!

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: Officer's Leaving AGAIN!!!
By DL on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

Make sure you're sitting down, Fenwick Island ...

The cops are leaving again.

Sergeant Bruette has taken a job with a neighboring police department; Another officer is taking a job with his old Pennsylvania agency; and there will be at least TWO MORE leaving shortly ...

Your wonderful town council is once again responsible for leaving you with little or NO police protection! Wow ... there's a surprise.
You will be faithfully and diligently protected by your Officer In Charge and one other officer.

Speaking of which ... has anyone seen the "officer in charge" on patrol yet?

By Mr Sunshine on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Yes I heard rummer that Major Manning was retiring.

By DL on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

You are correct, however it will be alot sooner than summer!

By DL on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

Update - Major Manning's retirement letter is in.
He will be done at the end of this month. However, he is out on leave for the remainder ...

By The Rock on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:06 am:

When is "Buzz" resigning?

By DL on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

Not sure, but it couldn't be soon enough......

By DL on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

Well its official........Peter Brennan one of the last three Fenwick officers has now resigned. One more to follow shortly, leaving one officer and the officer in charge.

How much cover does that leave the residents of Fenwick Island????? No where near 24 hour coverage.

By Bill Weistling, jr. on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

It appears that DL is right. If I am correct, these are the current or soon to be current FIPD conditions in F.I:
Chief on suspension and probably terminated Feb.12.
Major Manning gone as of Jan. 31.
2 other officers leaving shortly.
1 officer attempted to leave but was persuaded to remain.
So at the best we have 2 officers and an OIC and this situation is doubtful.
If I am incorrect in any of the above, Council can correct me at the next meeting.
On Sept. 3, 2002 Council held a special meeting with less than 7 days notice. I'll quote from the minutes of this meeting:
"Councilman Henifin noted that due to the Town needing immediate assistance to review FIPD recruitment and retention, the Town should offer a consulting contract with Glenn Hudson to provide temporary advisory services for FIPD."
Since then, of course, Mr. Hudson is now OIC.
That is now over 4 months ago. Since then, 4 and maybe 5 of the 6 officers on the payroll will probably be gone. A pretty high turnover rate.
Council had a special meeting today, so maybe some of these issues may be handled.
Mr. Henifin and Mr. Hudson still owe the citizens of this Town an explanation for the current turnover, and their plans for "recruitment and retention". 4 months is enough time to develop a plan.
If "recruitment and retention" were problems with Chief Dickerson, the problem remains with OIC Hudson and Councilman Henifin.
Be open with the public and explain courses of action to provide FI residents with a good, stable PD.
If you can't,step aside and let's bring in experts to review and make recommendations.
What would have happened if an outside auditor had not been brought in?
The same goes for the FIPD.

By Mr. Happy on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 06:45 am:

With Manning retiring, there should be a parade in town. The streets would be full of all the past cops that worked at F.I. and who's careers were ruined by Manning.

By FIR on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:22 pm:

Well Mr.Happy, it appears that Manning is officially retiring. Let's get these past cops to join the parade. Why don't you form it? By the way, give us an update on what these 'ruined' cops are now doing for a living, and a number please. Streets full of cops would be a welcome addition now to F.I. Let's have a parade every night or day.
Nice to know that 1 man can ruin so many careers all by HIMSELF.
Perhaps they will now seek re-employment in FI.
Lots of vacancies!

By Part Time on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:45 pm:

If the Town of Fenwick is that worried about police service, they could hire out some part time police officers from other departments to help fill the shifts until the new chief has a chance to get some replacements. Thats what Dickerson did when he took over the police department. Has anyone considered that idea yet ?

By DL.5 on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 09:30 pm:

dear part time:

do you realy think that anyone in their right minds will go and work for FIPD. Every department arounds knows what kind of a "MAN" OIC for Hudson is. There is not one department around that will offer their men and women to work part time for FIPD. Just ask some of the current and soon departing officers what they think about OIC Hudson. Who is the town going to blame all of the officers leaving on this time? There is only one person that you can look at and blame. I think by now everyone can figure that out.

By FIR on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:01 pm:

Mr. Dl.5, you are soooo wrong!
Council will probably now revoke Dickerson's suspension. Place him back as the Chief of Police, and blame him for this recent rash of officers leaving. After all, he is still on the payroll and being paid as Chief of Police. Then after a few months to allow for the citizens to forget about these recent departures, he will be terminated again for failing to keep officers in FI.
Remember, in FI, blame only rests with the paid employees!!

By part time on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

Dear DL.5, to be honest, I really dont know to much about the FIPD OIC. I have heard alot about the chief and second in command. I thought the OIC was retired from the State Police. Should we give him a chance ?
Has he at least tried to fix the problems, he is out patrolling the streets. What do the current officers feel about the OIC at this point. Are they leaving because of the OIC ?? or tired of the politics. I would work there part time. I would hate to see a police department closed down, but on the other hand, maybe shutting down the police department and counsil will save the residents. Another person wrote that a few streets in Fenwick are under Sussex County rules and never have a problem. Does Fenwick really need a police department ?
Look at Frankford, they had a police department and closed it down and now have the state police taking over and seem to be doing ok. Not to sure myself what is best for Fenwick except that they need to get a new council and Mayor.
Wasnt "Mayor" Peg running for some bigger election in Sussex County. Has is that going ??

By Kurt C. Hoffman on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

Instead of simply complaining on here, write to the Attorney General's office, people, and tell them what you think about the lies, the deceit, the avoidance of mandatory audits, the failure to pay withholding taxes and efforts to keep that failure secret, the series of unlawful executive sessions, the actionable character assassinations of George Dickerson and Bill Manning, the browbeating of Vicki Carmean, the unilateral rule change to thwart a free and open discussion of current issues during the public participation segment of Council meetings, the lack of opportunity for public input on the budget, the micro-management and subsequent unraveling of the Police Department by an unqualified Council member, the dubious conduct and questionable advice of the town attorney....it's an impressive laundry list of misconduct.
Attorney General Jane Brady will only get involved in our dilemma if she hears from an overwhelming number of property owners. Contact her through her deputy, Michael Tupman, at the following address:

W. Michael Tupman, Esq.
Deputy Attorney General
Delaware Department of Justice
102 West Water Street
Dover, DE 19901
FAX: 302-739-7652

We have to get rid of most of these Council members before they drive the town into bankruptcy and cause us to lose our insurance. We already are vulnerable to civil penalites and a number of lawsuits because of their misbehavior. They have to go, people, and it's only going to happen if we make it happen.

One other thought: Your comments here on Sussex County Online will carry more weight if you sign your name.

By Sussex Cop on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 05:37 am:

part time,

Three issues to clarify:

1. No intelligent Delaware officer would work full time OR part-time for Fenwick Island PD. Why do you think no Delaware certified officers have applied there in nearly ten years? Why do you think all the out-of-state cops working there now (and in the past) are leaving?

2. Being retired from the Delaware State Police is NOT a major feat. It certainly does not carry much respect or admiration from ANY municipal law enforcement agency. Being a Delaware state trooper in NO WAY prepares anyone to command a law enforcement agency. You can't learn proper leadership and administration skills running back and forth across one of the smallest states in the country, handling domestic disputes and residential alarms.
Do your homework on Hudson before you give him a chance.

3. Frankford only had a police department for a few years. It was made up of mostly part time officers and one full time Chief. There were never the same number of officers working Frankford's streets as there have been in Fenwick. Additionally, the volume of calls for service in Frankford were never equal to the amount in Fenwick, a major resort area. Frankford PD was disbanded because Frankford has no revenue to support it. That is certainly not (and never will be) the case in Fenwick.

By Username on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:08 am:

The Delaware State Police to not even handle domestic disputes. For the most part, the local agencies take care of this. Though Delaware is a small state - I'm sure that most munipalities/towns are much smaller - so your point is moot, and your facts are uncoordinated. Take some Ginseng or something.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: