Real story of the F.I.P.D.

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: Real story of the F.I.P.D.
By cop friend of FI cops on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

OK, here's the story. I'm a nearby cop and personal friend of a few F.I. cops who work now and have worked there in the past. There was apparently a problem with the Dickerson/Manning administration for so many officers to leave under their command. The rate of men quitting is just too disproportionate to all other similarly sized agencies. Rumor was that it was the extremely harsh rules and discipline handed out. That, in addition to the salaries that aren't up to par with other departments, drove the cops away. stay tuned for more of the truth!

By Tony Soprano on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

Wouldn't the extremely harsh rules and discipline under Dickerson/Manning,have come down from the powers above them, say from the police commissioner,or those from whom he takes his orders. Doody does run downhill.

By cop friend of FI cops on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

part two- reasons the cops are leaving this year: 1. too much turmoil (most of which this year is caused by council, EXCEPT Ms. Carmean). 2. Hudson brought in as defacto chief (you should see his track record from the State Police to the town of Bethany Beach, he must know someone.....hmmm...on council?) 3. other towns offer better salaries, and futures to a young cop. So, would you want to work there for $26,000 a year not knowing if or when you will ever get a decent raise?

By shepship on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

Hi I am looking for a place to start my law enforcement career and was looking into Fenwick Island, I hear of all these stories. Is it a bad idea to go for an interview if I get called? Please Help! Thanks

By Kurt C. Hoffman on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

Instead of simply complaining on here, write to the Attorney General's office, people, and tell them what you think about the lies, the deceit, the avoidance of mandatory audits, the failure to pay withholding taxes and efforts to keep that failure secret, the series of unlawful executive sessions, the actionable character assassinations of George Dickerson and Bill Manning, the browbeating of Vicki Carmean, the unilateral rule change to thwart a free and open discussion of current issues during the public participation segment of Council meetings, the lack of opportunity for public input on the budget, the micro-management and subsequent unraveling of the Police Department by an unqualified Council member, the dubious conduct and questionable advice of the town attorney....it's an impressive laundry list of misconduct.
Attorney General Jane Brady will only get involved in our dilemma if she hears from an overwhelming number of property owners. Contact her through her deputy, Michael Tupman, at the following address:

W. Michael Tupman, Esq.
Deputy Attorney General
Delaware Department of Justice
102 West Water Street
Dover, DE 19901
FAX: 302-739-7652

We have to get rid of most of these Council members before they drive the town into bankruptcy and cause us to lose our insurance. We already are vulnerable to civil penalites and a number of lawsuits because of their misbehavior. They have to go, people, and it's only going to happen if we make it happen.

One other thought: Your comments here on Sussex County Online will carry more weight if you sign your name.

By cop friend of FI cops on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

Shepship, I would not recommend the FIPD to anyone. There are plenty of other places to apply to, especially with the way Delaware is growing.

By Sussex Cop on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 05:21 am:

Shepship,

You wouldn't happen to be a Pennsylvania certified officer, are you??

The majority of the roughly 40 officers that have been through the revolving FIPD doors in the last ten years have been Pennsylvania certified officers.

That should be a MAJOR clue to the residents of FI.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: