Ding Dong the Chief is GONE

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: Ding Dong the Chief is GONE
By Harry Sachs on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

The sun will finally rise on Fenwick Island again, its rays will spread across the ground showing how beautiful this place truly is with all of the dirt and grime of the Dickerson- Manning circus having left town.Like the emancipation of the slaves, we the people of Fenwick are released from the chains of bondage with the FIRING of George Dickerson. Justice will prevail, and Might DOES make right. With the well timed "Retirement" of One-time Major Manning and the recent decision of the council to remove Dickerson from the office he has corrupted, there is a new hope to be found in the Fenwick Island Police Department. With the right combination of administration and officers, the black shroud which has covered the FIPD can be lifted and a fine, respectable new order can begin. I, as a citizen of Fenwick, look forward to a changing of the guard and a brighter tomorrow. Let us be rid of the stench left behind by the Manning-Dickerson regime, and put our trust in new appointees who deserve that sacred trust. Together, we will build a better Fenwick Island. I am not naive enough to think that this will solve all of our problems here in Fenwick, but it is a good start. We can make a clean sweep through our corrupted hierarchy and try to remove the blinkered, philistine pig ignorant among them. There is hope for the FIPD yet, with staffing of officers and admin with an ounce of integrity we may yet form a solid structure within its ranks. I for one look forward to positive change, and hope to see a certain officer return to Fenwick, at his previous rank of Sergeant, which was stripped from him by Dickerson/Manning because he was honest and wouldnt play their reindeer games. He knows who he is, and I would like to see him back, and in charge. If we are to move forward, and to bring this town up to where it deserves to be, we must harbor no fools.. Are you listening Mr Mayor? Ms. Carmean?

By xxx on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

You wear your ignorance like a badge of honor. We need a council that has an ounce of integrity. I do like how you refer to "Mr. Mayor".

By another cop in sussex on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

Mr.Sachs, you should do your homework before praising the former Sergeant (John Devlin) and wishing him to return. Law Enforcement sources in Sussex Co. say he has a problem in his current Police Department and is looking to leave. With Fenwick in dire need of cops, O.I.C. Hudson and Town Council would hire Saddam Hussein right now! I'll tell you and the rest of the public the simple solution: THE ONLY WAY Fenwick will ever have a decent Police Dept. is to hire a respectable person as Chief and keep the Council's hands out of the daily operation of the Police Dept.!!! As soon as Mr. Hudson and the Council(excluding Ms. Carmean)are out of the way, the road to a good Police force can be paved.

By gumshoe on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 07:45 pm:

I believe that the quality and caliber of a police department and how well it's run can be measured by how content the officers are with that department and how well they are treated. If the officers are treated right, that department will have a low turn over rate of officers. If you watch the ads in the paper, Ocean View PD is only expanding with new hires, not replacing. South Bethany has not even had to run an ad. As for Fenwick Island and Bethany, lets watch their officer retention rate.

By Resident Evil on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:53 pm:

And who is the common person involved in both towns. Llyod Glenn Hudson!! Since Llyod has taken over the Fenwick Police Department they have lost three very good officers. Just ask anyone of them what the problem is. I'm sure you will get the same answer.

So what did the town council do after the chiefs hearing? They went ahead and extended Hudson's contract until May 15th. Makes sense. You fire the chief for not being able to keep officer's but you extend the contract of Hudson who can not keep officers. You fire the chief for not having the best coverage possible. Has Hudson made the most of coverage? The answer is NO. You fire the chief for not making manning wear a uniform. Is Hudson wearing a uniform? The answer is NO. The last that I heard, was that there is plently of uniforms for Hudson to pick from. Since so many officers have left. Oh that's right hudson probaly could not fit into any of the uniform's that are left because they were made for men. Maybe he will be able to fit into the part time parking enforcement's uniform from this last summer.

One last question has anyone seen the car without the lights on it? Maybe the town did something right for once and sold the car to help pay for the chiefs lawsuit that is coming.

By John Devlin on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

Thank you Mr Sachs if you were referring to me about returning to Fenwick Island pd and your kind words. If I did return to Fenwick it would be because I could help make a difference.
Now for the comments from another Sussex Cop you should do your homework because I am doing quite fine in my current employment with another department and don't have any problems here as you reported maybe you should check out your law enforcement sources and make sure they are accurate or be man enough to leave your name when you want to wrongly slander me, or meet me for coffee so you can get the truth. I had a trial board on the only charges that were made against me in my carreer while I was at Fenwick and was not found guilty.I continue to serve the residents in sussex county with honesty and integrity. If you know me so well feel free to contact me.Better yet send me a letter and identify your self.

By Sussex Cop on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:26 am:

Harry Sachs,

You are correct in part. However, the current council (less Mrs. Carmean) needs to be removed immediately from authority. That is the responsibility of each Fenwick Island resident, property owner and business owner to pursue.

As Resident Evil clearly indicates, Hudson needs to be removed as well. His poor tactics and administration have made no improvements at FIPD, but in fact have made it worse.
--------------------------------------------------

John Devlin,

I have worked with you in the past and have seen you "in action" on the streets. I, along with other officers, have been victims of lies and slanderous statements you have made.

I think I speak for pretty much every cop around here when I say this:

Before you make a challenge you cannot win, I suggest you take a long, hard look in the mirror. YOU might like what you see, but the rest of us don't.

By Harry Sachs on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:31 am:

I would like to rebuke a few things said about my first writing... As for XXX, I agree with you about the council, although if you read closely, I stated that. I think we need to work one issue at a time, making a sweep to insure we get as much of the problem as possible. I relate it to a surgeon removing a cancer. Thank you as well for picking up on the sarcasm of the Mr.. Another Cop In Sussex.. you sir are a different matter. I feel sorry for you that you are a vital part of the rumor mill and that you are so easily led by the nose by others and so totally unable to think for yourself. Before you continue to spread information given to you by others, take a moment to wonder at its authenticity. I know Mr Devlin personally, as well as Bill Manning and George Dickerson, Bruette and others who have left the "Choice" employment of the FIPD. I also know from personal experience, not hearsay, the actions of the Administration and Council, and therefore know of what I speak. I do not bother to broadcast the opinions of others because I am too weak or lackadaisical to find out the TRUTH for myself. I am sorry if the truth offends you sir, but perhaps if you put a little more integrity in your diet and a little less manure, you would have your eyes opened to see what really is out there, rather than relying on the overinflated self important opinions of those you glean your information from. Gumshoe, thank you for your insight, a very good point you have made. I think with a new Admin, we will see a positive retention in the FIPD. When you are given a hostile work environment, you are not inclined to stay. Let us give the incoming a chance to set things right, and hope that the council will take that idea and run with it, supporting its PD instead of trying to run it. As I said, there is hope yet, we just have to work together to achieve what we deserve.. Community, Council and PD. As for you Mr Devlin, I am glad to see that you are open to stating your own case, and inviting those who are not informed the chance to become so.

By John Devlin on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:28 am:

Sussex cop one step closer to knowing who you are and I see you are still not man enough to disclose your name.As you see I am.The challenge is still on.I speak the truth..And YOU???? I like many officers became a victim at Fenwick PD in the past along with up to forty other officers.Are you telling me that they were all bad officers? I know different.I also know whos friend you are you made that quite clear in a earlier statement maybe that is where you are getting your wrong information.You are entitled to to your opinion, but you are in the minority.

By Three Fold on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:42 am:

I would just like to add that, Dickerson got what he deserved. It's also funny that his second in command, Major (joke)was two of the reasons why he was fired. They both should have been removed years ago. Neither one of them deserve the honor to hold a badge. What comes around goes around George !! and it just came back around and smacked you in the face. It was just a matter of time after all the slandering you and Manning did to all those good officers that worked for the police dept.to come back around three fold. You got what you deserved. I only hope that you are never a police officer or chief ever again. Your a "nobody" now. Fenwick Island is now saved as far as the never ending turnover in police officers. So what if you sue the town of Fenwick, big deal, take the money and move out of Delaware. Just dont move to Pa. There are alot of Act-120 police officers that you burned. Ah, justice is finally served.

By gumshoe on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:45 am:

Mr. Sachs, if you had read my comment carefully, you would understand that the last sentence on officer retention was referring to the future tense.

By Sussex Cop on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:44 am:

Mr. Devlin,

Please try to keep up here ... "another cop in sussex" and "Sussex Cop" (me) are not the same person. So, it appears you are taking one step backwards instead. Maybe Fenwick has a position open for detective if you return.

I'm sure you became a victim in Fenwick at one point or another. Almost every cop that has worked there since Dickerson took over has been a victim. As you accurately state, that number was over 40 officers. I have not stated or implied that all of those officers were bad. As a matter of fact, my posts have all indicated that there were two major problem personnel at FIPD ... and they are both gone now.

I do have many friends that are officers just like myself. I may or may not be a friend of "another sussex cop"; I don't know who he or she is either. I DO know that we share similar opinions of Fenwick Island PD and you. If you feel so indulged, I suggest you review previous posts from several other officers making similar statements. I guess we're ALL in the minority.

As for anyone not divulging their names, that is the benefit of a public online forum. Constitutional issues aside, online forums are meant to provide a tool for persons to state their opinion and share information. And as you clearly stated, I am entitled to my opinion. Making my opinion publicly known is not a crime, but a matter of freedom of speech and public interest. If you have any doubt about what may or may not be posted, grab a copy of the Delaware criminal code and the U.S. Constitution.

By Harry Sachs on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

Sussex Cop,
I agree with you for the most part about the council. As I have noted from previous postings you are a supporter of both Manning and Carmean. I however, am not. You once stated in a posting that you or any intelligent officer wouldnt work in Fenwick for a million dollars.. is this because of the politics? Because of the PD Admin? Or is it because you dont think you could bring a positive change to the PD? I ask this only for clarification, not as an attack. As this forum is nothing more than a clearinghouse for opinion, ours are on even ground. The only difference that I see is in the forming of those opinions. It would seem that loyalty and friendship do often push truth and objectiveness aside for favor. In reading the postings it seems that there are basically two camps: Those who want the council and admin revamped, and those who want only a part of it changed. I am in favor of a clean sweep. All of the mudslinging and fingerpointing aside, is it not better to start from scratch? I also encourage every land/buisiness owner in Fenwick to write letters until fingers fall off and attend EVERY meeting possible. When it comes time for election, it would be wise to know who you are voting for and why. I am not trying to personally attack any member of council or PD, I do however attack thier character and shady dealings as a whole. This includes Mr Hudson, Ms Mayor and the rest of the Ringling Brothers Council. Why bother with pointing fingers at each other when all are just as guilty as the next? The truth is, as a council, things are voted on, not put forth by one member, so no one person on the council is any more or less guilty as another. As for OIC Hudson, I think his record stands for itself, or topples and quivers as the case may be. One thing I think we can be sure of, he will NOT be extended again, and he will NOT be Chief. All we have to do is grin and bear it until May.. and after bearing mismanagement for the last decade, I think we can make it two more months..

By Sussex Cop on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

Mr. Sachs,

I apologize if I had given a false impression in some postings. Although I agree with the issues that Manning has pushed against the council, I do not support him as a police officer or administrator. I have known too many officers that have been victimized by Dickerson and Manning. I am very happy to see both of them gone.

I also agree with you on the fact that there must be a total clean sweep in Fenwick Island. Both the council and PD administration needs to be rebuilt on a fresh foundation. I am a supporter of Mrs. Carmean, as she has been the only council member to take action "in house". She diligently pursues the illegal actions of other council members, knowing that she could suffer the consequences of being a whistle-blower.

As for Mr. Hudson, I heard today that his contract has ben extended until May 15, 2003.
My question is how can a contract for him exist (or be extended) if it was unlawfully created in the first place? That seems to be a serious issue that residents should pursue. A good point of contact would probably be Mrs. Carmean.

I wish you and every Fenwick Islander luck, and hope that you have a successful resolution to these serious problems.

By gumshoe on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

I agree with Sussex Cop for a total clean sweep, as far as I am concerned that's FIPD's last hope.

By Resident. Evil on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:22 pm:

Mr. Devlin:

You say that you could be good change to the department? What kind of good change can you bring? I have heard the same thing as sussex cop about you. So maybe you should look at who your real friends are. And don't worry you will know who I am soon enough.

I found it pretty funny that during the chiefs hearing that you had a smile on your face the entire time. Oh that's right you did nothing wrong when you were at Fenwick the first time. Is that why you left? Oh I do hear you are having problems in your current place of employment. Is that true??

By gumshoe on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:37 pm:

Devlin and the current OIC of FIPD should consider starting their own security guard business, far far away.

By USMC on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

HEY DEVLIN

You might have been found "Not Guilty" on your trial board, but you think that, that DSP training officer will EVER train you again in anything since you LIED about the day you were suppose to be there at 0800 instead of 1300 for the 5th time!?!?!

I THINK {{{ NOT }}}

By Resident Evil on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:19 am:

Gumshoe:

you forgot to add Mr. Thomas Kimble to the rank of security officer. You might as well have three criminals running the business.

By Harry Sachs on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:11 am:

Sussex Cop,
Thanks for your clarification, I apologize if I misconstrued any leanings towards Manning. While I am no supporter of Ms Carmean, I also agree that she does have more integrity and chutzpah than anyone else on the council. At least she isnt afraid to put her neck on the line, even if it is to be chopped off.
Resident Evil,
I guess you are also a member of the "Another Sussex Cop" school of rumor mongering. Why is it that any personal attacks you make are always provisioned by what you hear others say? Do you not have the ability or resources to find out your own information and form your own opinion? I realize that it is easier to sit back and spread the word of others rather than looking into something for yourself, but remember, you arent speaking facts, just hearsay... but then, this IS an opinion forum so the uneducated opinion is posted alongside the intelligent ones. As a sidebar, I saw the same smile at the hearings, if I had gone through what Devlin and 40 others have, I would have had a smile too. Hell, I would have baked a cake and ate it all myself.
USMC,
Interesting allegation.. where oh where might your information have come from, an anonymous source named Manning? Perhaps you should look up the records before you make such statements. Furthermore, who do you think set the times for the training, and who was it that gave them to Devlin? Check your facts sir before you alledge culpability. While I am not on Devlin or anyone elses side on this, I do think that truth and fact should rise above personal feelings and opinions here. After all, isnt truth and justice what we are looking for, or is this just a forum for spreading rumors and mudslinging? It seems that most everyone on here is merely reiterating the same phrases and opinions over and over.. Does anyone have a fresh idea or thought?

By gumshoe on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

Mr. Sachs, in my opinion, the FIPD should start with a clean slate of officers after the current OIC's term expires ( with no more extensions for the OIC). An outsider should be hired as chief. This would mean no former DSP or FIPD's Officers. Do a thorough background on the integrity of the perspective chief and after hiring, the council needs to allow him or her to run his or her department. The chief should do the hiring of his officers. The police officers hired should be qualified Delaware certified or police officers from other jurisdictions with previous experience, not people fresh out of the PA college academies, who have no police experience. If you do this I can assure FI that they will be on the right track. Valuable input could be gained by the local chiefs, who have a record of a good retention rate of officers. They would serve as a good resource for the new chief. Let's face it, the good police in the area no who the good officers are out there, because reputations of officers are known to all, locally.

By gumshoe on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

PS: Some FI council member changes would also be very helpful! Hopefully, the FI towns people will learn from all of this mess and will vote accordingly!

By USMC on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:59 pm:

Mr. Harry Sachs . . .

My "interesting" remark about John J Devlin DID NOT come from Major Manning it came from personal first hand knowledge. There is no need for me to look up the information because I KNOW this information. First of all DSP sets the training dates AND times. SGT Devlin knew he needed this training so it was his responsibility since he was the so-called SEARGEANT to obtain this training information. So don't try and put this on Major Manning! Devlin KNEW the dates AND times, he's the one who showed up at the wrong time and screwed up and THEN tried to cover it up. AND this isn't the first time he done something like this. So just like council said . . .everything does add up.

I am stating the facts Mr. Harry Sachs as I know and experienced them. So Mr. Harry Sachs don't ASSUME I am trying to spread rumors I am just stating FACTS.

By GnySgt. on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:07 pm:

Mr. Harry Sachs . . .

My "interesting" remark about John J Devlin DID NOT come from Major Manning it came from personal first hand knowledge. There is no need for me to look up the information because I KNOW this information. First of all DSP sets the training dates AND times. SGT Devlin knew he needed this training so it was his responsibility since he was the so-called SEARGEANT to obtain this training information. So don't try and put this on Major Manning! Devlin KNEW the dates AND times, he's the one who showed up at the wrong time and screwed up and THEN tried to cover it up. AND this isn't the first time he done this. So just like council said . . .everything does add up.

I am stating the facts Mr. Harry Sachs as I know and experienced them. So Mr. Harry Sachs don't ASSUME I am trying to spread rumors I'm just stating FACTS.

By Harry Sachs on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 01:09 am:

Gumshoe,

I couldnt agree with you more. I think the entire system needs to be gutted and brought up to date. I also like your suggestion of a homegrown Chief and DE certified officers. If we can give the FIPD a quality reputation and create a good working environment with competitive salaries, I dont see why we couldnt have a fantastic force. I think the only way to do that is to revamp the council and to limit how much council can dip their fingers into the PD pie. Didnt we learn a lesson in Viet Nam about letting the politicians run the action? Wouldnt it be better for them to work together rather than vie for power and bicker?

USMC,
Thanks for posting that twice, I thought for a minute I had deja vu. I am happy to hear you are so close to the "Facts". Thanks for bringing Manning into it also, though Im not sure why, I didnt mention him at all... but you sure were quick to defend him against nothing. Care to explain the lack of disciplanary action taken? Since you have all of the "Facts"? The trial board?

By The Real USMC on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:35 am:

Mr.Sachs, USMC is or was the fired chiefs third back stabber in command. The blonde bimbo that was fired. She worked for Dewey Pd. for a short time, but nobody there liked her either.

By Sherry A. Jordan on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:53 am:

FIRST of all I have only posted 1 ONE message on here and that was under my own name. I do have enough nerve and back bone to post on here under my own name unlike some people. I don't appreciate someone calling me a "blonde bimbo" when you don't know me. Yes, I did work at Dewey PD as a seasonal dispatcher and yes I went full-time for two years after that. And the fact that nobody at Dewey PD liked me, well that's life, I suppose the feeling was mutual.

And how do you figure I was Chief Dickerson's third back stabber in command? Please enlighten this "blonde bimbo"

By Harry Sachs on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

Ms Jordan,
I have only one question for you.. You state that "Nobody at Dewey PD liked me, well thats life, I suppose the feeling was mutual" Interesting sentiment. Why would you stay at a job where nobody liked you and you liked no one? Yet you say you were there for two years? Did you ever stop to ask yourself WHY no one liked you? Perhaps perform a little self-inspection? Why was it that you didnt like anyone else there? I just find it interesting that everyone involved with FIPD and FI Council who show megalomaniacal tendencies and bitter social shortcomings all refer to themselves as victims, yet never feel as though they have "Wronged" anyone else.. How is it that such a group could be so thickheaded. If 1 person says you are assinine , perhaps that 1 is just opinionated. But if EVERYONE you come into contact with says the same thing, there has to be more to it than an opinion or basic disliking. Since we dont have anymore officers to pay in Fenwick, perhaps Council should order the purchase of a bunch of hand mirrors for all of those involved to take a good hard look at themselves. Nah, they are so used to lying now that they would just lie to themselves and blame it on someone else anyway....

By Harry Sachs on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

By the way Ms Jordan.. does your Blazer still have the USMC plate on the front? :)

By Online Luv on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

Sherry,

For someone who says they are honest and dont lie, I am willing to bet that there are a couple of folks on the net who now know why you gave them your High School picture.. Oh wait, was that done at work? During business hours? With community funds? Geeze, I guess it was. Dont bother denying it either, you were seen by more than me.

By REALGLAD on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

I WORKED AT FIPD AND THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE WAS WHEN I LEFT. IT IS ABOUT TIME THOSE TWO (GEORGE AND BILL) ARE GONE. IT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED A LONG TIME AGO. ALL THEY DID IS TRY TO RUIN PEOPLES CAREERS. THEY ARE REAL POLICE OFFICERS..HAHAHAHAHAH HOLD ON A MINUTE..HAHAHAHAHHAHA. THE CITIZENS OF FENWICK SHOULD HOPE THEY GET A GOOD REPLACEMENT LIKE HUDSON...HAHAHAHAHAHHAH...HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!! MAN WILL THE TOWN EVER LEARN?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: