Vickie Carmean & Harry Haon

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: Vickie Carmean & Harry Haon
By Mr Sunshine on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Lets get copies of those letter that Haon wrote Vickie. These are the letter that were on Channel 47 on the Friday night news at 6:00

By Jack Childers on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:47 pm:

FENWICK ISLAND, DE--WMDT Channel 47 3/14/2003 Controversial Letters Reporter: Angela Andreae Photographer: Karen Elligson

Fenwick Island Town Council member Vicki Carmean is upset after receiving threatening letters from fellow councilman Harry Haon encouraging her not to communicate with people in thetown who disagree with the council.
Carmean, the newest council member, says she ran for city council simply becauses she wanted to pretty up main street, plant flowers and clean up the town. But she didn't know what she was getting into.
Carmean says, "From the very beginning when I started I was told to avoid certain groups of
people. I received occasional, rather frequent letters advising me to not speak to the dissidents in the community and avoid those people who were involved in blaming others."
Carmean received a letter from Council member Harry Haon--telling her "to disassociate yourself
from those who thrive on negativity, finger pointing and the blame-game" and goes on to say
"I hope you'll consider an appropriate corrective action soon."Another note came after Carmean talked to a local newspaper about a city tax hike. Haon wrote, "This is still confusing to your fellow council members when you choose to go to the press first before alerting or seeking any input of others on council.
The letter also says, "You seem to have aligned yourself with a small group of dissidents who may be trying to use you as a vehicle to discredit or get back at council." The dissidents Carmean says Hoan is referring to are people in Fenwick who are questioning the council's actions.
Carmean says, "I made it a point to get to know those people and I think they're wonderful people and they have good ideas."She says these letters make her feel uncomfortable with the council, "I want to keep the issues in front of the public--people need to be informed I don't want to cause any hard feelings but I want to see the communication between the council and taxpayers on the island improve."
For the past week, we have tried to contact Councilman Haon for comment on his letters, but
he has not returned any of our phone calls.

By FI-Landshark on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:27 pm:

I wonder why Mr. Haon won't comment on his letters...?? Maybe the Guide should ask Mr. "Let Me Give you a Bonus after doing your job for three months and we haven't paid our tax bill for the past four years so we still have money to spend" Frederick, "Mayor" Baunchauk, Mr. CouncilMAN Griffin and Mr. Hennefit for their comments. I suspect they won't have much to say either. I never knew that taxpayers supporting the town with their hard earned money--money that the good Council takes so good care of--were really "dissidents". Geez, I guess we should not ask any questions or comment about the total lack of acountability on Council lest we be part of some great conspiracy to discredit the great and powerful Oz. Man, aren't we in Kansas YET!! Enough of this nonsense. Mr. Haon--the "blame game" started with you. Step up and take responsibility. Start being accountable for the problems that have plagued this Council and then promise to correct your own actions. Mayor Baunchaulk, Griffin and Hennefin--ditto to you. Mr. Frederick--I heard your little speech about FOIA complaints. FOIA complaints are not just some costly nuisance; FOIA complaints are a marker of not running government in a lawful manner. P.S. In case you didn't realize it, FOIA complaints wouldn't cost so much if you would do the right thing in the first place. Keeping up with all the stories and finger pointing that this Council does is like watching a shell game by a master magician. The "enemy" isn't the "dissidents"; the enemy is staring back at Council when they look in the mirror. Mr. Haon does make one useful comment--....We do need "corrective" action soon. When are the elections again? How many of these folks do we get to send back to private life duties?

By J C on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:58 pm:

oooch Council, Beware the Ides of March...this is not pretty.

By EX-F I COP on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:10 am:

As a former F.I. Police Officer who recently resigned, I urge the citizens of Fenwick to support Vicki Carmean. Right now she is the only hope you have to straighten out the situation in town until you can elect new Council members to assist her. She is doing the right thing, but she is working alone with much friction from the rest of Council. Fenwick is a nice town that has so much potential with the right leaders.

By gumshoe on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

It sounds as though enough has occurred in FI for the town residents to move forward and impeach the current council members. It has always been my belief that the council members should be accountable to the citizens, who voted them into office. If a council member is encouraging or threatening another council member not to speak with its citizens, then there must be alot to hide. Sounds as though it's time to clean house and not wait for an election. I would encourage Viki Carmean to continue to speak with the FI town's people.

By Sussex Cop on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:14 pm:

I second gumshoe's motion! All in favor ...

By Sussex Cop on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

Ex-FI Cop,

What other issues are still lingering since your recent departure? Are there still any unethical or illegal activities going on in the FIPD? I hear there are some scary things coming down the road in the VERY near future, such as ex-employees coming back, harassment ... stuff like that. I imagine Fenwick Islander's would want to know the bad news ahead of time ...

By Elsie Weistling on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:56 pm:

Sussex Cop, It is clear you have some experience in terms of time on the job and /or just more time living life and clearly have much less to lose than Ex-FI Cop in the long run. I don't have a problem with what Ex-FI Cop has said so far online here, but I would caution him to try to remember that getting pulled into a show what you know conversation here is not necessarily in his best interest. Unless you know who Sussex Cop is and are positive you want to play his game on his terms, Ex-FI Cop, pick your battles and forums wisely. Don't be chided into something. I am not a Councilperson, I assure you. I am a Concerned Citizen and I am speaking with your longterm interests in mind.
Think first.

By Elsie on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:19 am:

Peter Frederick, during the Town Meetings on March 7, stated something to the effect of ...we don't have to tell you what we are thinking, we only have to tell you what we've done.
In that light, Harry Haon, I am asking you about what you have "allegedly" done as it pertains to the Channel 47 article subject matter above. Did you write(a)letter(s) to Vicki Carmean like those depicted? If you wrote anything that could be misunderstood or that was intentionally worded as referenced above, I find that totally unacceptable. I trust that,if Ms. Carmean took it all the way to the press, she must have such documentation.
Gumshoe, Mr. Frederick, at the same meeting, in reply to a question from Mr. Scott Mumford, also pointed out that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to Fenwick Island Councilmembers who act inappropriately other than to vote them out at election time. That is pretty much what it boils down to. That's the fastest method of the alternatives presented when we spoke with Attorney General Jane Brady along with Ms. Carmean and the "dissident" Concerned Citizens on February 7, I believe it was. One alternative was an injunctive order...to get them to stop doing whatever the issue is, but that would take longer than getting through the elections to get accomplished. Another is a two-weeker or so Writ of Mandamus that could be issued by the Courts...it essentially is a court order to do some aspect of the job they are supposed to do. Of course, by Feb. 7, they were doing the audits, they were beginning to pay their backlog of withholding and other tax monies due, they were approving minutes of meetings and even having regular meetings, they were beginning to believe FOIA was a real law, (by the way, just because the other 15 complaints did not violate the Freedom of Information Acts, that does not mean the actions were good management practices....and 7 violations is 7 too many! Roughly a third of the complaints WERE FOIA violations! A THIRD OF THEM! SEVEN!), etc., etc., etc..
I may request for Council to stop Council Minutes from reflecting if someone is from Concerned Citizens, or a Councilperson's Spouse or reflecting me solely as speaking with emotion when no one else is duly noted. Seems to be trying to show something there, though I know not to what purposeful end! And that is after I worked with them nicely on a potentially very controversial issue. What's your point there Council?
Mr. Frederick, in the same meeting, suggested that the public trust Council to do their jobs in the best manner they know how. Even as a Concerned Citizen, I try, always, to look for the good while encouraging openness regarding the controversial issues as well. Now that I am apparently a dissident using Vicki Carmean to get back at the Council, it may be a bit more difficult to keep the faith as asked to do by Mr F. Let me see, I must be getting back at them because I actively supported them for years and years by working on a multitude of committees...Ordinance, Budget, Town Fair, Recreation, Park ... after having served on Council with some of them as Public Works Commissioner and Emergency Management Commissioner...or maybe because I have been coming to their regular Council meetings for years and years as an interested non-apathetic observer. Maybe they can tell me what I am getting back at them for so I can repent and change my ways.
This news article above looks like a CHECKMATE, Harry... not too much different than during the January meeting (I know you weren't there, Harry) when Vicki was the only person on Council who did not have a copy of the year-end audits for 1999 and 2000 and Helen had to bring them to her during the Council meeting during Mr. Sombar's presentation. It certainly did not go unnoticed. There were actually gasps in the audience and it lent more credence to things that Vicki had been bringing up,... by the way, to the one place she thought she could go to seek help when talking with Councilmembers directly didn't seem to help, the AG's office.
But, I am ready to set the board up again for a new game. Hope you (and all of the Councilmembers) are too. It's a Democracy folks. We don't all think and act alike. Viva la difference!
So Gumshoe and others, sing another more informed tune. The AG's office is not an enforcement office for governance issues. The Charter provides no relief, nor does State Law. Doesn't appear the State Auditor's Office will intercede either. They are all informed and concerned as are Messrs. Bunting, Hocker and Phillips. They all encourage that we keep the issues before the public. So the best we can do is to work together with a willing Council to try to come to a happy medium as to how we all want the gov't in FI to work...truly open and honestly informative, like in the good old days! Sounds like a good goal for all. Lots less friction. Before you know it, the townspeople will be almost completely apathetic once again.

By gumshoe on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:56 am:

Elsie, sorry to hear that. Thank you for the information. Sometimes you hear encouraging reports on the news, for example, what the citizenry of Salisbury attempted to do with their council through petitions. Sounds as though FI council is locked in tight.

By FI-Landshark on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:25 am:

Elsie--Peter Frederick's comments at the meeting ("I don't have to tell you what I am thinking, ony what I have done.") and Harry Haon's letter to Mrs. Carmean are just the latest two examples of a council not wanting to play anyone's game except their own. I think they are hopelessly loss to their own machinations. I would have thought Mr. Haon would have been a bit more humble after the last election. I seem to recall he was a distant third behind Mrs. Carmean. However, it looks like he and Frederick and the others think that now that they are elected, they don't have to allow an audience with their constituents. Unfortunately, we may very well be stuck with them for another year unless their FOIA violations ultimatley get them censured by the AG's office. The others, however, ARE up for election. I wonder how many of them will run. I am hopeful that they will step down from their throne and voluntarily do a Lyndon Johnson. Otherwise, we need good strong candidates to run. We cannot afford another year of this type of attitude on the Council. With others on board, the Council can be re-structured and King Haon and King Frederick can be relegated to more important jobs on Council--like overseeing garbage pick up.....

By Sussex Cop on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Elsie Weistling,

You are correct in some of your assumptions, and I encourage Ex-FI Cop to publicly speak the truth. It is in the best interest of both the public AND current and former FIPD officers that the WHOLE truth be told.

Rest assured knowing that I'm a friend of Ex-FI Cop, and he knows who I am. I have worked with not only with him on the street, but also about 40 other officers that have been through the revolving doors of FIPD.

I would also like to extend my best wishes to you in your diligent pursuit to resolve corruption in your local government.

I personally feel that the Delaware AG's office is not using its full resources and authority to resolve issues in Fenwick. I am under the impression that the federal government could step in with a decree or similar mandate in order to clean house and monitor the situation. However, it does not appear that the AG's office has sought their assistance. Am I incorrect, or are the Feds working their own papertrail on Fenwick?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: