Who Will Be Fenwick Island' s Town Manager?

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: Who Will Be Fenwick Island' s Town Manager?
By gumshoe on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

I watched on WBOC News the other night, that Fenwick Island was considering making the position of a Town Manager. I wonder, if they create that position, who they have in mind to fill it? It will be interesting to see who is hired. The council is still using the involvement of the OIC for the Chief's selection, which I personally believe is a mistake. The OIC has told the council that he does not want the Chief's position. I wonder if the OIC and the Town Council have something else in mind for him. After all, Hudson was Bethany's Town Manager. Now, if this speculation could end up to be true, let's do the math. Hudson is involved in the Chief's selection and if he became Town Manager of FI, that would give Hudson total control of the town and the police. HHHMMMM! If that happened, it seems as though history would be repeating itself.
ALERT !!!!! FI residents, look into Bethany's history, when that happened.
Will anyone ever learn!

By Bill Weistling, jr. on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

Don't worry GUMSHOE. There will be no Town Manager anytime soon in F.I.
No money is allocated in next year's budget, and the position of Town Manager is not considered in the "3 Year Financial Goal" printout presented at the budget workshop and the recent Council meeting.
At the March 7 monthly meeting, 5 council members expressed support for considering the hiring of a Town Mngr. At the March 27 Budget workshop, 3 of the 5 Council members in attendance wanted the position of Town Manager included in the "3 Year Financial Goal" printout, along with several members of the public. 2 members felt that this new position should not be a part of the 3 year goal package. 1 Council-person asked for a majority vote on the issue, but this request was not considered.
I personally feel that a Town Manager should at least be a consideration in a "3 Year Financial Goal" package, along with any other goals that Council members want to include. The key word is 'goal'. To not include this position is wrong.
Perhaps the media can request statements from each Council member to clarify their position on this issue of Town Manager. Let's set goals that the Council and public feel are important. Remember--they are GOALS.

By gumshoe on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

Bill Weistling Jr., I don't necessarily have a problem with a position of a town manager. I do believe however, that a town's police chief should not be under the authority of a town manager. It is also my belief that FI would fare better without Hudson in that position, if it did come into being. Once again, all one has to do is look at the past history of Bethany.

By Harry Sachs on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:35 pm:

When I get a tingling in my thumbs, something wicked this way comes...... A Town Manager? I dont think that is a good bug in the ear of the council. For one, they have quite enough messes to busy themselves cleaning up to worry about that. I think it would be mnore beneficial to the town council and the town itself to correct the current problems they are encountering and creating and get the council and PD squared away before considering a Manager. But hey, that is just the opinion of a towny, only seems to count on here.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: