What's So Bad About FIPD

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: What's So Bad About FIPD
By US Park Cop on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 05:27 am:

Hello from the Chicago region!!

Iam orginally from PA and a federal police officer in the Chicago region. I have recently thought about coming back east and have looked at several departments in Delaware and all have been willing to accept my federal police certification without any problems.

I spent 3 and a half years in the DC region as a US Park police officer and have an MD certification. What is so wrong bad about the FIPD? I was thinking of throwing my application for an opening there and possibly for the chief's slot too.

By gumshoe on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

US PARK COP, Hello friend! Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, why would you want to leave a high paying Federal position, for probably, a third of what you're making now?
Secondly, the FIPD could use a good Chief of Police. Unfortunately, it's my belief, that a "good" Chief would have extreme difficulty functioning in that role right now, with the powers, which are currently in place in the Town.
Before I would make a move like that, I would have to investigate further and speak to police officers from the local Delaware agencies near to the town of Fenwick Island, to obtain all the facts and history of the Town and the FIPD. That would be South Bethany PD, Ocean View PD and Bethany PD.
Good luck with your endeavors and if you should happen to get selected as Chief of FI, God be with you!

By Slower Lower Delaware on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

Until Henifin is voted out (August 2003) Fenwick Island has a "Comish" for a police chief. Henifin knows everything about Law enforcement. Just ask Him!!!!

By US Park Cop on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 05:19 am:

Gumshoe,

Well unfortunatly I live in the DC region and am now on a detail to the Chicago region. I went thru the process for Bridgeville 4 years ago (when I first got hired by USPP) and was able to get Delaware certified (something about enforcing MD/VA/DC and federal law kinda intrigued them). All US Park police officers do get an MD certification when they hit the streets if they get assigned to the DC region.

Iam currently a Sgt. and am looking at moving into the ranks of being a chief or captain somewhere.

I guess Ill be calling

By gumshoe on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 11:01 pm:

US Park Cop, I would suggest making a trip out to the area and speaking one on one with the police officers, who work nearest to the Town of Fenwick. May I also suggest reading the previous dicussions, pertaining to Fenwick, on this forum. I would do these things for your own sake, to make a more informed choice, before you leave your current position.

I hope you make it back out this way, if it's your desire, friend. Good luck to you. Stay safe.

By Sussex Cop on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 01:01 am:

US Park Cop

As a neighboring officer to FIPD, I strongly suggest you take Gumshoe's advice. Ask us, we'll tell you the real story. That story entails bad politics, corruption, cover-ups and poor administration.

Stay safe.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: