New Police Chief!!

Sussex County Online User Forums: Fenwick Island Discussion Forum: New Police Chief!!
By bill weistling, jr. on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

The Town of Fenwick Island has made some changes to this Friday's monthly meeting.
The 2:00 executive session has been cancelled, and added to the very bottom of the agenda is the announcement of the hiring and swearing in of a new police chief.
Also, there will be an ad hoc meeting/executive session in Wilmington federal district court on July 1 at 10:00 to discuss pending litigation.
Some thoughts and questions:
1. Chief Dickerson's termination hearing ended on Feb.28. Wm. Bowser, the hearing officer, stated at the end of the hearing that any appeals go to Superior Court. He also stated that it would take him 3 weeks to a month to prepare the written decision. Chief Dickerson then has 90 days to appeal; after the written decision has been rendered. The Chief CANNOT be terminated until a written decision has been rendered. These statements are from my notes taken at the hearing.
My concerns:
1. If Chief Dickerson appeals, and wins the appeal, we have 2 police chiefs and 2 salaries.
2. If Chief Dickerson appeals, and loses, no problem with hiring a new chief.
3. If the case never goes to Court, and a settlement occurs, where does this money come from? The Town already transferred money from the real estate transfer fund to cover salaries. Maybe insurance will cover any settlement.
2 out of the above 3 will cost us all money in 1 way or another.
Perhaps the "new" chief should be hired as an "acting" chief or "officer in charge" until the Dickerson situation is settled.
If Chief Dickerson's case has already been settled, Council should inform the public. If not, why proceed with hiring a new police chief until it is finalized?
Only 2 more monthly meetings of this current council.
Seems that this Council wants to hire a new chief before it's term expires.
Hope it's the right decision.
Attend the fri. meeting and express your opinions. Get involved with your local government--
'The world is run by those who show up'.

By Slower Lower Delaware on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 09:03 am:

Your comments are right on the money. Money will be the deciding factor in any case involving the chief.By now the insurance company will have entered the picture and will dictate how this case will be settled. I am sure that after the insurance litigators read the transcripts of this case they will attempt to negotiate a settlement. What will the council say then!!!!!All of us can remember the sham that was used as an excuse for the hearing. Poor supervision of employees, inadequate performance evaluations, and town commissioners that did not understand how to use federal grant money sticks out in the minds of many. Also the refusal of a Town Council member to recuse herself from sitting in on the judgement of the chief was questionable. Denial of first amendment rights is not something that the courts like to see trampled upon. I am sure the courts will have no trouble deciding this case. Chief Dickerson just may become a wealthy man!!!!!!

By William Williams on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:12 am:

The town charter, Section 12 " Meeting of the town council" indicates that the Town Council meetings must be within the town and special meetings are to be requested by 3 members of the council. Section 13 "Quorum" indicates that its takes a majority of the council to constitute a quorum. The town charter does not allow the Council to delegate powers to an ad hoc group meeting in executive session in Wilmington.
How and when will the residents of Fenwick Island learn what is taking place?

By Sussex Cop on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

Mr. Weistling,

What you have stated is correct and should have been considered by the town council. If a new chief of police (title-specific) is hired before Dickerson is officially and legally terminated, it could be bigger trouble in Fenwick. Let's hope it won't turn out that way.

As for their decision on the new chief of police, do you (or anyone else) know why they did not seek a more qualified, experienced applicant from outside of Delaware? Or at least from a larger agency? It seems to me that they have had more than ample problems with chiefs from this state. I was told there were more qualified applicants from other places such as NYPD, Montgomery County, Maryland, and other locales. It's a shame that the so called "panel of experts" were made up of unqualified civilians and state police personnel.
I hope for the sake of Fenwick Island and other area police departments that a good decision was made by the few to protect and serve the many.

By gumshoe on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

I am confused. If I understand correctly, wasn't part of the qualifications for the position of Chief, being a "working Chief", which I would define as being capable of working the street.

After reading the article in the WAVE, is this new Chief capable of doing that? I don't know the new Chief, but I would have to ask myself, would she be capable of handling herself, breaking up a fight, arresting a violent person or did they change the qualifications to a desk Chief?

Henifin was quoted as saying that out of 38 candidates she was selected. I would have to agree with Sussex Cop's last commentary.

By xxx on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:44 am:

my bet would be on the new chief not you two cowardly rumormongers. perhaps she could demostrate her skills on some dim-witted volunteers like you and sussex cop. lol!!!

By gumshoe on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:40 am:

xxx, Apparently you were unfamiliar with the original qualifications for the Chief position. You are also seem limited with any knowledge of police work.

Please come back and write another commentary after completing elementary school grammer, where they teach you to start a sentence with capital letters.

Have a nice day!

By the real XXX on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

xxx Why are you using my name? Are you trying to make me look bad?

By US Park Cop on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

Well as you can tell I got rejected for the postion. Oh well, I put in for several other departments to be a chief at, its the wait n see game. Oh well I dont think I want to come back east anyway, unless its Florida.

By xxx on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:31 am:

Well Gummy, I may not use capitals, BUT unlike you, I do know how to spell the word grammar correctly! How familiar or not I am with police work is not the issue here for me. My issue is you. Even a person of minimal intelligence could recognize your backwoods ridicule that reeks of sexism. What a pathetic, narrow-minded attitude!

By XXX on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:15 am:

The last post shows how the council must have picked the chief. "police work is not the issue here"

By gumshoe on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:51 am:

To the phony xxx, After reading your commmentary, it sounds as though you are a bitter woman. The chief's job has everything to do with police work. My own beliefs are that any position should be open to any gender or race that QUALIFIES for the position. Qualifies means able to perform in every aspect of the duties, phony xxx.

I've known a few female police officers that could handle themselves very well on the street. Although I've found that many start more trouble by running their mouth, hiding behind their badge, thinking that the badge will protect them. When they find that the person they're dealing with is not afraid of a badge or has no respect for it, they quickly call on their male counterparts to bail them out.

I believe you missed the point of my original commentary. FI's original requirement was for a working Chief. If they changed that to desk Chief, then fine. Whoever they hire should be based on meeting the qualifications that they required.

FI's current low number of officers would require the Chief to be out there working on the street.
I would hope that she can be one of the few that can handle themselves, if the situation arises. Time will tell.

Sussex Cop's commentary and mine were leaning more towards police experience. Let's face it, police from larger populated areas near larger cities have more experience than police in this area.
(If it puts your little feminist heart to rest, phony xxx, there are a few male officers that physically cannot handle themselves on the job either.)

In conclusion, phony xxx, your lack of police experience and knowledge really makes you one of the few that do not qualify to speak in this matter with any credibility.

PS: If you're not the real XXX at least be creative enough to come up with your own name, if you're capable.

By xxx on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:10 am:

Nope, I am neither- bitter woman nor bitter man-- no bitterness here at all.

So what's your excuse? ...perhaps your pompousness and arrogant know-it-all attitude is caused by a green-eyed monster named 'jealousy' ~~~~ or maybe it's simply you're a bitter ex-FIPD employee.

By gumshoe on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:12 pm:

Phony xxx, I don't have an excuse. As far as the new Chief is concerned, if she is a good person, a good police officer and Chief, who can get out there on the street with her fellow officers when need be and handle herself, then I wish her the best. If she has those character traits, I hope she is able to survive the current FI Council until the new one is voted in.

Am I jealous? Not at all. I am more than qualified to be Chief of FI. I chose not to apply, because I would have not been able to get along with the current FI Council or the former OIC. I work under principles of honesty, integrity, and doing the right thing, which I believe are foreign to them. Secondly, I would not have taken the positon, knowing that there will most likely be future litigation involving the former Chief and the town.

Do I know it all? No, but I know alot about police work and doing the right thing.

Am I pompous? I believe you're equating my so called pompousness with having expectations for town council members, town administrators, police chiefs, and police officers working the street, to serve their citizens with honesty and integrity. Once again I believe those are traits which are foreign to a couple of area coastal towns.

Am I arrogant? You may be mistaking my so called arrogance for my frusration. It's difficult not to be frustrated with knowing the truth about what's going on around the area, and not being able to change the way powers at large can continue to practice, in which I believe are unethical ways, and actually get away with doing so. The only thing that I and a few others can do, is hope to enlighten others, with the truth on this forum, in hopes that citizens of these towns will respond, by digging and asking the powers that be for themselves. This would mean that the powers would be held accountable for their actions to the citizens, which is the way it's meant to be.

My hope for FI is that a new council will soon come into being, which will be upfront with its citizens and practice under different principles. I also hope FI will finally have a quality police department, which its citizens deserve.

By Sussex Cop on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

From the phony "XXX":

"my bet would be on the new chief not you two cowardly rumormongers. perhaps she could demostrate her skills on some dim-witted volunteers like you and sussex cop. lol!!!"

... and babbles on ...

"Well Gummy, I may not use capitals, BUT unlike you, I do know how to spell the word grammar correctly! How familiar or not I am with police work is not the issue here for me. My issue is you. Even a person of minimal intelligence could recognize your backwoods ridicule that reeks of sexism. What a pathetic, narrow-minded attitude!"

... and on ...

"So what's your excuse? ...perhaps your pompousness and arrogant know-it-all attitude is caused by a green-eyed monster named 'jealousy' ~~~~ or maybe it's simply you're a bitter ex-FIPD employee."

Phony 3X makes the case against himself/herself/itself. While he/she/it continues to throw out thoughtless, uneducated ramblings, Fenwick Island PD remains a stagnant piece of ground. There have been no definitive or substantial changes in local government. As for the new chief, a short time will prove her ability OR inability to do the job. So far, she has ordered an officer to make persdonal reservations for her at a restaurant. is that professional, ethical or appropriate adminstration of a law enforcement agency? Not yet.

Wannabe 3X - Go get your education, training, experience and certifications in law enforcement before you make youself look like even more of a nutbar.

By no limit texas hold em poker game on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 10:03 pm:

Tibetan empowered:dispels motionlessly timing,kimono showed.represent satisfiable Stokes free software texas hold em poker counterbalance,having free texas hold em poker games sorcery.fumbled deterrent stratagem inglorious texas hold em poker free game on ulitimate

By play texas hold for free onlie on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 01:03 am:

slit picnics rector gore, folklore Snyder:hydrant transpired Doubleday local texas hold tournaments comforting disrupts cornet permuted how to put on a texas hold poker game borate Kirkpatrick torture free texas hold porker play

By fswfurv@microsoft.com on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 01:26 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: