Sussex County Delaware

Indian River
Referendum Passes

 
Indian River School District ...

Controversial Measure
Wins by 1,400 Votes

The controversial $67 million Indian River School District referendum survived the second time around on Tuesday, May 23, 2000.

The referendum to build two new high schools and renovate other schools in the district passed by a final count of 4,909 to 3,528, according to IRSD spokesperson Dave Maull.

It was the second time voters in the district had gone to the polls over the issue to upgrade the district's aging facilities.

The first referendum two months ago failed by 101 votes after southern school board members felt not enough of the $67 million was going toward renovations of existing buildings.

The board reached a compromise a month later and presented a new package for the same dollar amount but with more of the money going toward the renovations.

The State of Delaware will pay 60 percent of the cost of the construction and renovations with district property owners paying the remaining 40 percent.

District officials said before the referendum that taxes would increase by $30 a year beginning in 2002, increase another $24 a year in 2003, and then begin to decrease in 2006 until the debt is paid off.


Local News Index | News Index

Poll ...

Click the buttons to vote on or see the results of our Question of the Week



Sussex
Beach
Guide

From
Beach-Net!
  • Activities
  • Bethany Cam
  • Dining
  • Events
  • Fishing
  • Lodging
  • Maps
  • Real Estate
  • Shopping
  • Surfing
  • * Beach-Net! is a service of Coastal Images Inc., Fenwick Island, Delaware.

    Sussex County Delaware
  • Home Page
  • Sussex Search
  • Sussex Shop
  • Sussex News
  • Towns
  • Government
  • Businesses
  • Schools
  • Organizations
  • Forums
  • Events
  • E-Mail

  • Sussex County News

    iSyndicate®
    Headlines
  • News
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • U.S. Weeklies

  • Sussex County Delaware

     

    Sussex County Online Copyright © 1999=2000 Sussex County Online
    Site Design and Maintenance by Cyber Weekly Consulting