Feb. 25, 2000:
Tech Put 2 in
IR, SC, Laurel Advance 1 Each
Friday Sussex Results
Photo: Delmar's Nathan Shearer remained unbeaten to reach today's state tournament semifinals.
DOVER -- Delmar, Seaford and Sussex Tech advanced two wrestlers apiece into today's semifinals of the Delaware Secondary School Athletic Association state tournament with quarterfinal victories on Friday, Feb. 25, 2000.
Reaching the 11 a.m. semis at Delaware State University were Nathan Shearer (152) and Luke Blanchfield (160) of Delmar, Cameron Fitzgerald (125) and Kyle Shedaker (145) of Seaford, and Jimmy Hudson (189) and Brandon Morrow (Hwt.) of Sussex Tech.
Also advancing to the semis were Henlopen champions Quinn Revel (112) of Indian River, Corey Strohmeyer (130) of Sussex Central, and Adam Ralph (135) of Laurel.
Knocked out of a state title possibility was Sussex Central's Teddy Thompson, the defending state champion at 145. Thompson was pinned by Rispolli of Division II state dual meet champion Hodgson in 2:15 in the 145 quarterfinals.
Shearer, a transfer from nationally ranked Connellsville High School (Pa.), was named the outstanding wrestler in last weekend's Henlopen Conference tournament and picked up right where he left off there in the state meet Friday.
First, he flattened John Brayman of Newark in 44 seconds in the preliminary round and then he decisioned Rob Mingola of Glasgow in the semifinals. Now 31-0, the 18-year-old junior is, along with Blanchfield, trying to become the first Delmar state champion since Randy Brown in 1987.
Blanchfield reached the semifinals with an 11-2 major decision over Nick Papademetriou of Mt. Pleasant in the quarterfinals. He scored a technical fall over Glasgow's Jerry Hackett in 4:14 in the preliminaries.
Seaford's Shedaker had beaten Central's Thompson during the regular season but lost to him in the Henlopen Conference tournament. On Friday, he decisioned Newark's Jeff Hudson 6-4 in overtime in the preliminaries and then reached the semifinals with a technical fall over Tower Hill's Jason Oren in 4:00 in the quarters.
Fitzgerald, meanwhile, registered two pins, nailing Brandywine's Martin Rivera in 3:28 in the quarterfinals and Mt. Pleasant's Andy Rawley in 42 seconds in the preliminaries.
Hudson and Morrow also breezed into the semis. Hudson pinned Middletown's Mark Hitchens in 1:51 in the preliminaries and registered a major decision, 15-3, over William Penn's Willie Singleton in the quarters. Morrow pinned William Penn's Luke Fresconi in 1:57 in the quarters and A.I. DuPont's Will Bradley in 2:47 in the preliminaries.
Revel, just a sophomore, made a big impression in his first state tournament. He major decisioned Adam Edinburgh of Mt. Pleasant 16-6 in the preliminaries and flattened Justin Martin of Concord in 3:30 in the quarterfinals.
Strohmeyer decisioned Glasgow's Pete Lazzapina 11-8 in the quarters after pinning Middletowns' Jake Spence in 2:47 in the preliminaries. And Ralph scored two decisions, 5-1 over Brandywine's Jason Scott in the quarters and Glasgow's Justin Parag 4-2 in the preliminaries.
Action continues today with the semifinals at 11 a.m. and the championship finals at 7:45 p.m. Consolation rounds run from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fifth place matches start at 6 p.m. an third place matches at 6:30 p.m.
Sussex Wrestlers' State Results ...
(Sussex Wrestlers in Bold)
- Welch HG dec. Tyrice Nocks (IR) 4-2
- Krygierb WP tech. fall over Brad Rogers (ST) 22-5, 6:00
- Sianni HG pinned Kyle Hopkins (CH) 4:52
- Quinn Revel (IR) pinned Martin CD 3:30
- Ball StM dec. Kyle Isaacs (SC) 11-6
- Atkinson StM major dec. Matt Rose (SEA) 13-5
- McConnell (StM) pinned James Leyh (SC) :40
- Cameron Fitzgerald (SEA) pinned Rivera (B) 3:28
- Welch (HG) major dec. Jon Jones (Milf.) 8-0
- Corey Strohmeyer (SC) dec. Lazzapina (G) 11-8
- Eric Johnson (L) dec. Mike Scaffedi (CR) 5-2
- Ferrara (WP) dec. Cliff Mumford (Milf.) 9-2
- Adam Ralph (L) dec Scott B 5-1
- Jordan Lowe (SC) dec. Wyatt Hall (ST) 7-3
- No Sussex wrestlers reached the 140 quarterfinals.
- Kyle Shedaker (SEA) tech. fall over Oren (TH) 4:00
- Rispolli HG pinned Teddy Thompson (SC) 2:15
- Campbell (H) pinned Brendan Abel (Milf.) 4:15
- Nathan Shearer (Delm.) dec. Rob Mingola (G) 10-3
- Calloway (WP) major dec. Tyler Dickerson (SC) 16-5
- Luke Blanchfield (Delm.) major dec Papademetriou (MP )11-2
- McManus (H) dec. Doc Kimmerlin (Milf.) 8-3.
- Jimmy Hudson (ST) major dec. Singleton WP 15-3
- McLeish H dec. Chris Adkins (L) 13-7
- Ashton StM dec. Jake Booth (SC) 5-4;
- Brandon Morrow (ST) pinned Fresconi (WP) 1:57.
- Shaw (StM) pinned Will Saylor (Delm.) 1:47
- Tyrice Nocks (IR) major dec. Ryan Gralewski (H) 14-0
- Krygier (WP) major dec. Jason Dickerson (SC) 13-5
- Brad Rogers (ST) major dec. King (StA) 16-5
- Kyle Hopkins (CH) dec. Szewzky (StE) 10-8, OT
- Marra (N) major dec. Mitch Harding (Milf.) 16-6
- Quinn Revel (IR) major dec. Edinburgh (MP) 16-6
- Kyle Isaacs (SC) dec. Spencer (MD) 7-4
- Atkinson (StM) tech. fall over Dan Madanat (Milf.) 24-8, 6:00
- Matt Rose (SEA) dec. Cannon (AI) 3-2
- Quailes (WP) pinned Steve Swain (SC) 5:47
- James Leyh (SC) dec. Vitale (N) 13-8
- Cameron Fitzgerald (SEA) pinned Rawley (MP) :42
- Taylor (WP) dec. Richard Fischer (Milf.) 8-2
- Welch (Hodg.) tech. fall over Noah Goricki (SEA) 15-0, 2:37
- Jon Jones (Milf.) pinned Merritt (StE) 3:36
- Corey Strohmeyer (SC) pinned Spence (Mid.) 2:47
- Eric Johnson (L) dec. Plerhoples (Sal.) 4-2
- Ferrara (WP) pinned Ty Leonard (WB) 1:49
- Cliff Mumford (Milf.) major dec. Falgowski (Arch.) 15-3
- Adam Ralph (L) dec. Parag (Glas.) 4-2
- Jordan Lowe (SC) pinned Boulden (Hodg.) 3:37
- Wyatt Hall (ST) dec. Cessario (StM) 7-5
- Donofrio (StM) tech. fall over Luis Perez (IR) 15-0, 4:06
- Smith (Hodg.) pinned Andre Cannon (WB) 5:46
- Hession (MP) dec. Derek Conaway (L) 12-5
- Kyle Sheddaker (SEA) dec. Hudson (N) 6-4, OT
- Teddy Thompson (SC) tech. fall over Lawhorn (Delc.) 16-1, 4:00
- Campbell (How.) dec. Lawrence Sinagra (Delm.) 7-6
- Brendan Abel (Milf.) dec. Bastianelli (StM) 8-7
- Smith (Hodg.) pinned James Faulkner (WB) 1:22
- Nathan Shearer (Delm.) pinned Brayman (N) :44
- Graves (WP) dec. Raheim Brunskill (SC) 3-2
- Willis (StM) major dec. Bob Doran (Milf.) 16-3
- Calloway (WP) pinned Cole Scott (SEA) 2:41
- Tyler Dickerson (SC) pinned Scofield (Ferris) 3:30
- Luke Blanchfield (Delm.) tech. fall over Hackett (Glas.) 4:14
- Kerr (Hodg.) pinned Ryan Billings (Milf.) 3:56
- Hughes (Sal.) pinned Robbie Twilley (ST) 5:04
- David (Hodg.) pinned Nick Heim (IR) 2:46
- McManus (How.) major dec. Dave Redard (CH) 16-7
- Doc Kimmerlin (Milf.) dec. Holstein (StE) 6-5
- Jimmy Hudson (ST) pinned Hitchens (Mid.) 1:51
- McLeish (How.) pinned Kyle Inman CH 3:40
- Chris Adkins (L) dec. Pearson (Sal.) 11-4
- Jake Booth (SC) major dec. Udinski (Hodg.) 13-2
- Walker (N) pinned Andwar Martin (SEA) 3:32
- Davis (Chr.) dec. A.J. Rovillard (SC) 7-1
- Lothridge (Conc.) pinned Phillip Hastings (L) 3:27
- Brandon Morrow (ST) pinned Bradley (AI) 2:47
Sports Index |