Feb. 18, 2000:
7 Knights, 6 Bucs in Semis
FINALS COVERAGE |
Quarterfinal Results |
Photo: Sussex Central's Teddy Thompson works over Caesar Rodney's Bill Bilbrough in a 145-pound quarterfinal match won by Thompson by technical fall.
LEWES -- Sussex Central and Milford High School found themselves essentially battling for second place after the quarterfinals of the 2000 Henlopen Conference Wrestling Tournament at Cape Henlopen on Friday, Feb. 18, 2000.
The Golden Knights of Sussex Central placed seven wrestlers in Saturday's semifinals while the Bucs of Milford advanced six. Of the remaining Sussex County teams, Seaford and Sussex Tech each put four wrestlers in the semis.
Everyone trailed powerhouse Caesar Rodney, which advanced 12 of its 13 wrestlers into the semifinals to put a stamp on what will likely be the Riders' fifth consecutive tournament championship.
The Knights did well in the upper weights as Teddy Thompson (145), Raheim Brunskill (152), Tyler Dickerson (160), Jake Booth (189) and A.J. Rovillard (Hwt.) Also advancing for Central were James Leyh (125) and Corey Strohmeyer (130).
Coach Phil Shultie wasn't pleased with the lower weights, however, as the Knights blew good opportunities for victories there.
Southern Division champion Milford, meanwhile, put six wrestlers into the semifinals with the school's all-time winningest wrestler, Jon Jones (130), leading the way with a quarterfinal pin of Seaford's Noah Gorcki in 4:57.
Also advancing for Milford were Mitch Harding (112), Richard Fischer (125), Brendan Abel (145), Ryan Billings (160), and Doc Kimmerlin (171).
Advancing for Seaford were Matt Rose (119), Cameron Fitzgerald (125), Kyle Shedaker (145) and Andwar Martin (189). Sussex Tech put Brad Rogers (103), Wyatt Hall (135), Jimmy Hudson (189) and Brandon Morrow (Hwt.) in the semifinals.
Other Sussex County wrestlers to reach the semis were Tyrice Nock (103) and Quinn Revel (112) of Indian River, Adam Ralph (135) and Derek Conaway (140) of Laurel, Ty Leonard (135) and Andre Cannon (140) of Woodbridge, Nathan Shearer (152) and Luke Blanchfield (160) of Delmar, and David Redard (171) of Cape Henlopen.
- Chris Parker (CR) pinned Josh Chilcote (M) :17
- Leroy Hubbard (LF) dec. Jason Dickerson (SC) 9-7
- Brad Rogers (ST) pinned Will Saylor (Del.) 1:53
- Tyrice Nock (IR) tech. fall over Todd Brook (Sea.) 4:43
- Quinn Revel (IR) pinned Matt Porter (Del.) 3:50
- Mike Rowan (LF) dec. Kyle Hopkins (CH) 3-2
- Mitch Harding (M) dec. Kyle Isaacs (SC) 11-6
- Garett Faulkner (CR) dec. Adam Solloway (Smy.) 18-13
- Jeff Cutright (LF) pinned Ray McGinnis (Lau.) 3:19
- Matt Rose (Sea.) dec. Dan Madanat (M) 5-0
- Nick Andrews (CR) pinned Steve Swain (SC) 1:03
- Matt Biddle (Smy.) pinned Chuck Hull (Del.) 1:16
- Darnell Custis (CR) maj. dec. Mike Dang (ST) 13-5
- Richard Fischer (M) dec. Paul McCommons (Dov.) 6-4
- James Leyh (SC) dec. Ben Ralph (Lau.) 5-2
- Cameron Fitzgerald (Sea.) dec. Josh Stallings (LF) 7-1
- Corey Strohmeyer (SC) pinned Kevin Jerman (Del.) 2:53
- Mike Scaffedi (CR) dec. Eric Johnson (Lau.) 4-3
- Jon Jones (M) pinned Noah Goricki (Sea.) 4:57
- James Sacra (Dov.) maj. dec. Patrick Blissard (Smy.) 12-2
- James Russial (CR) maj. dec. Jordan Lowe (SC) 9-1
- Wyatt Hall (ST) maj. dec. Mike Danley (LF) 18-7
- Ty Leonard (WB) dec. Cliff Mumford (M) 14-8
- Adam Ralph (Lau.) tech. fall over Grant Gray (Sea.) 4:32
- Dwayne Graham (CR) tech. fall over Scott Cahall (Smy.) 4:22
- Derek Conaway (Lau.) dec. Luis Perez (IR) 10-8
- Andre Cannon (WB) dec. Joe Defrancesco (Dov.) 8-5
- Danny Boone (PT) pinned Joey Walls (SC) 2:57
- Kyle Shedaker (Sea.) pinned Sean Tigani (Dov.) 5:24
- Brendan Abel (M) dec. Jeffrey Oliver (Lau.) 4-2
- Teddy Thompson (SC) tech. fall over Bill Bilbrough (CR) 5:17
- Matt McNatt (Smy.) tech. fall over James Spruill (ST) 5:25
- Nathan Shearer (Del.) pinned James Faulkner (WB) 2:17
- Raheim Brunskill (SC) maj. dec. Matt Tyndall (Lau.) 13-4
- Scott Slack (Smy.) dec. Bob Doran (M) 2-0
- Zack Kopp (CR) pinned Chris Couch (ST) 11-6
- Luke Blanchfield (Del.) tech. fall over Aaron Zimmerman (PT) 3:57
- Ryan Billings (M) dec. Mike Gleeson (LF) 7-2
- Brian Rigby (CR) pinned Robbie Twilley (ST) :31
- Tyler Dickerson (SC) maj. dec. Josh Underwood (Smy.) 13-5
- Brian Palmer (CR) pinned Alan Moore (Lau.) 3:40
- David Redard (CH) dec. Keith Collins (LF) 8-1
- Brian Blissard (Smy.) pinned Eric Hopkins (SC) 1:27
- Doc Kimmerlin (M) dec. Nick Heim (IR) 7-3
- Jake Booth (SC) sup. dec. Andrew Maull (Smy.) 16-4
- Jimmy Hudson (ST) maj. dec. Kyle Inman (CH) 12-3
- Andwar Martin (Sea.) dec. Kacey Fry (M) 12-5
- Tony Harris (CR) dec. Chris Adkins (Lau.) 9-3
- Brandon Morrow (ST) pinned Kevin Murphy (CH) 2:17
- A.J. Rovillard (SC) dec. Phillip Hastings (Lau.) 3-2
- Jimmy Powell (CR) dec. Eric Fazekas (PT) 2-1
- Chris Denigris (Dov.) pinned James Sinthavong (Del.) 1:06
Match of the Week Photos ...
(Requires Real Player)
Woodbridge's Ty Leonard gets the decisive points against Milford's Cliff Mumford at 135
Milford's Doc Kimmerlin takes down Indian River's Nick Heim at 171
Seaford's Andwar Martin puts Milford's Kacey Fry on his back at 189
Photos: In the top photo, Milford's Doc Kimmerlin rides Indian River's Nick Heim in a 171-pound bout. In the photo at left, Milford's Richard Fischer works on Dover's Paul McCommons at 125, and in the photo at right, Indian River's Luis Perez and Laurel's Derek Conaway get tangled up in a 140-pound match.
- Semifinal and consolation quarterfinal matches begin today at Cape Henlopen at 11 a.m. Consolation semifinal matches start at 2 p.m. Consolation finals start at 6 p.m. and will be followed by the championship finals. Tickets are $10 for all sessions today, $5 for a single session, and $6 for the championship session.
- The last team to win the team title besides Caesar Rodney was Smyrna in 1995. Caesar Rodney is trying to become the first team to win five straight team titles. The Riders became the first team to win five straight regular season dual meet titles this year.
- None of the top two seeds in the tournament had lost through the quarterfinals.
- The night's fastest pin was recorded by Caesar Rodney's Chris Parker (103). The Riders' Brian Rigby registered a pin in 31 seconds at 160.
H.S. Wrestling Previews
Sports Index |
Click the buttons to vote on or see the results of our Polls
- Home Page
- Sussex Search
- Sussex Shop
- Sussex News
- U.S. Weeklies