Sussex County Delaware

Old Christ Church
Laurel, Delaware

 
History of the Church

Old Christ Church, Laurel, Delaware

Old Christ Church was established on Broad Creek about one mile east of Laurel in 1770.

Established as a "Chapel of Ease" of Stepney Parish, Maryland, the church was built on land purchased by a levy of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. The building was completed by Robert Holston in 1772 at a cost of 510 pounds.

Among the more notable members in the church's history was former Delaware Governor Nathaniel Mitchell.

The church, at the intersection of Roads 465 and 465A off Route 24, holds services at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays in July and August and offers tours on the fourth Sunday of the month from May through October. The tours start at 2 p.m.


Laurel Index | Towns Index

Sussex
Beach
Guide

From
Beach-Net!
  • Activities
  • Bethany Cam
  • Dining
  • Events
  • Fishing
  • Lodging
  • Maps
  • Real Estate
  • Shopping
  • Surfing
  • * Beach-Net! is a service of Coastal Images Inc., Fenwick Island, Delaware.

    Sussex County Delaware
  • Home Page
  • Sussex Search
  • Sussex Shop
  • Sussex News
  • Towns
  • Businesses
  • Government
  • Schools
  • Organizations
  • Forums
  • Events
  • E-Mail

  • Sussex County Delaware

     

    Copyright © 1999-2002 Sussex County Online
    Site Design and Maintenance by Cyber Weekly Consulting