Photo: Selbyville Public Library
Selbyville Delaware traces its history back to its founding in 1778. It was incorporated in 1902 and now has a population of 1,645.
Selbyville was originally known as Sandy Branch due to its location at the head of the St. Martin's River, where a grist mill and saw mill operated. In 1842, Sampson Selby began marking packages for delivery to his country store, Selby-Ville.
By 1918, Selbyville was the major supplier of strawberries for the entire east coast, an industry that remained strong until the 1930s.
Located on U.S. 113, Selbyville has grown from a town with a downtown business district to a town that is sprawling out to U.S. 113 with service businesses and a new shopping center.
Businesses Serving Selbyville
- Computer Repairs
- Sussex Search
- SC Online
- Home Page
- Sussex News